Japan


Advertisement
Asia
July 25th 2010
Published: July 25th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Afraid this will have to be a somewhat short blog entry, as need to go to sleep before too long! Also, keyboard is pretty funny and may disappear into Japanese at any moment! But yes, I'm in Japan! So far, so amazing - definitely one of the most liveable places I've ever visited, and possibly the politest, sweetest people of all time. Will need to do a proper update (and I'm aware I haven't even finished China yet!) but I'm climbing Mount Fuji tomorrow (!) so a good sleep is def needed!

So yes, arrived into Tokyo on Wednesday the 21st and pretty much immediately loved the place. Found it so much quieter than anywhere in China - who'd have thought I'd find the metropolis of Tokyo relaxing?! Hostel was nice, and quiet, and the next day I managed to brave the rush hour subway and had a really great day at my future employer's Tokyo office - was able to get some work experience and do some interesting research, very positive introduction to the firm! That night saw a somewhat fraught reunion with Kriss at Tokyo Station (phones not working and getting lost and all sorts!), but we made it OK to our hostel, which is in a really nice, quiet area, with cool things nearby (Akihabara Electric Town!) and ideal subway links. Also has the coolest cabin beds which aren't as coffin-like as I'd imagined, actually rather spacious and comfy!

The last couple of days has been spent pretty much just exploring the most awesome city in existence - Tokyo! Had to get a couple of logistical things out of the way, but we're pretty much there now. Kriss has also been suffering a bit with the dreaded jetlag! Couple of days back, we went up Tokyo Tower and got a truly amazing view of Tokyo by night. Yesterday, we explored Akihabara and we also went to an amazing Studio Ghibli exhibition at the Museum of Contemporary Art - we were pretty disappointed as all the tickets for the Studio Ghibli Museum itself are sold out for the duration of our stay, so this was the next best thing. Studio Ghibli have just released a version of The Borrowers, so this was all about that - the sets, original drawings, etc. - just amazing. Hoping to go and see the film (albeit in Japanese) as soon as we can!

So, today was Harajuku day! Which was amazing, yet again. Saw a bit of cosplay and crazy outfits, visited some rather outlandish stores, and generally just got lost a bit. Highlight for us was the Meiji Shrine - a giant Shinto shrine in the heart of Tokyo, rebuilt after it was destroyed during the war. A giant Torii gate greeted us, and we had to perform the ritual purification before we went into the shrine. The shrine itself was really quiet, completely untouristed and unspoilt, and the most amazing thing was that there was actually a Shinto wedding taking place. So interesting to see, and although there were tourists trying to snap away, we preferred to just watch and take it in.

Tonight has just been Fuji packing, getting all of our supplies in our backpacks and bought lots of food, to guard against expensive mountain shops! Hopefully shall all go OK! Taking it extremely slowly - getting a bus out tomorrow morning, acclimatising for an hour or two, and then heading off at snail's pace! Apparently it takes 5-7 hours to climb and we're giving ourselves 10-12, so plenty of rests and snacks! Will be incredible to see a Fuji sunrise. Then back to Tokyo for a night to sample a tatami room, then off to Hiroshima and onwards!

So in sum, I love Japan, we love Japan, and you would love it too.

Jen

Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0352s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb