Tubing in Laos


Advertisement
Asia
July 22nd 2010
Published: July 22nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

View from the BusView from the BusView from the Bus

Some of the most amazing landscapes I have ever seen.
We had anotrher lengthly bus journey ahead of us to get from Laung Probang to Vang Vieng. It took about 8 hours in total but given a decent mororway the trip would probably take about 2. At least the views were nice on the road.

We arrived in Vand Vieng about about 5pm just enough time to find some accomadation and have a goosey round town before nightime. The town itself was tiny, it is a party town where all there really is to do is go tubing and then carry on the drinking into the night. We stayed in a family run restraunt / bar / guesthouse in what has to be the hottest room I have ever stayed in.

We missed the tubing on the first day as we arrived to late but we had prepared ourselves to make a day of it the following day. We decided it was to much of a rip off to hire a tube from the proper place so we had a walk around all the markets, but our search for a tube was proving a fruitless one. In these markets you could buy BB guns, swords, switch blades and all
Tubing AfterPartyTubing AfterPartyTubing AfterParty

Once its to dark to tube, everyone heads to a massive open bar where the drinking continues.
sorts of illicet items, but as soon as you mentioned tubes, you got a strange look like you were asking for something illegal. Turns out that they wont sell tubes in the shops before 6pm as it takes business away from the proper channels.

So we decided to go tubing, without the tubes. Turns out there was a few people floating downrive tubless. The first bar we stopped in had this rope swing into the river which is one of the most fun things I have ever done. One time I winded myself and felt like drowning but you just get back up and do it again. The buckets of whiskey and coke and shots of snake whishy take any pain away.

As you float down river on a very strong current, there is locals on the river banks fishing for tourists with rope that they throw you and pull you into their bar. It was one of the most surreal days of my life. Dispite hitting the odd rock in the shallower parts it was a fun pack 5km's of drinking, swinging, sliding, floating and swimming.

The night time bought its own entertainment. Just excatly the
Rain @ the AfterPartyRain @ the AfterPartyRain @ the AfterParty

It usually rains at some point during the day, but if anything people seem to get more excited.
same but without the river. The drinks are very strong and cheap, not a good combination!

The next morning I had the 3rd worst hangover I have ever had, that combined with all the aches and pains that the alchol masked the day before. We just sat in one of the many "Friends" bars and watched epoisides of Friends all day while my body recovered.

I sayed in Vang Vieng for 4 nights and didn't have a bad one, it was a party town and we had some great parties, and the rain does not stop anything, people just carry on.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

LagoonLagoon
Lagoon

One day when we didn't tube we rented some bikes and rode to one of the many local lagoons


Tot: 0.14s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 8; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0859s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb