manali


Advertisement
Asia
June 17th 2010
Published: June 17th 2010
Edit Blog Post

finally did the evil bus journey. well, could've been worse i suppose, i wasn't sick or desperately in need of the loo or anything, but it was soooo uncomfortable. it was a deluxe bus, but the words "deluxe", "luxury", "express" etc are all used somewhat randomly here i think. the seats went back just far enough to crush the knees of the person behind you, meanwhile the person in front is effectively laying in your lap. i managed to get some sleep, but even as i slept i was aware of exactly how uncomfortable each muscle was. i kept hoping we would reach a motorway, so that at least the ride would be in a straight line, but alas, no motorway across the foothills of the himalayas..... everytime i glanced out of the window we would be inches from the edge of some large drop and occassionally the driver had to reverse to get around some particualry tight hairpins.

anyway, it can't have been that bad, because i am going to have to do it again to get away from here!

no rush, however, as manali is stunning. well, not the town especially, although it has some nice bits, but the surrounding landscape is breathtaking. you can't walk more then five minutes without seeing snowcapped mountains, glaciers, beautifully clear rivers babbling over rocks, waterfalls, trees, greenery. it's really lovely. i think in terms of nature possibly the nicest place in india..... there are plenty of pleasant walks and also treks, of varying degrees of difficulty. i got a brochure from the tourist office, one of the treks, in the "extremely difficult" category involves crossing a mile wide glacier. don't worry, i am not signing up for this trek, just to give you an idea of how impressive it is round here.

i am vaguely considering a two day trek described as "pleasant and easy" but don't hold your breath....

it's actually quite cold here, especially at night. people (tourists and locals) wander around with blankets, hats and big woolly socks. i keep forgetting i am in india.

there are even yaks here in addition to the standard cows. the cows have been a bit mundane recently i am afraid, and not been putting themselves into unsual scenarios for me to take poor quality photos of them.

in a nearby village across the valley is some hot springs. in the middle of the "high street" is mounted a row of taps, all very functional, with boiling hot sulphur fraganced water just pouring out.... there is a bathing area, which i will try soon.

well, i will try to put up some pics but i am afriad there is no way they will do the area justice....










Advertisement



Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0655s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb