mysore


Advertisement
Asia
April 16th 2010
Published: April 16th 2010
Edit Blog Post

i like mysore, and it certainly has nicer auto-rickshaw drivers than bangalore!

when we arrived one driver took us to the first hotel recommended by lonely planet, and when it was more expensive than the book said, took us to another cheaper place just down the road where we have a nice room (after they killed the cockroaches) with a window! wow.

then today, we took a rickshaw for the day to see all the sights and so on. it's quite common to do this, you agree a rate for the day and they take you wherever, give you all the information, and wait whilst you go into places, eat etc. our driver today was called Asif and he was so great he even let me drive the rickshaw! really!

we drove most of the way up a big hill (i forget the name, as usual) and then did the last bit, 300 steps by foot to a lovely temple. i will upload some photos. i will never get to grips with hindu rituals, there was a special place for breaking your coconuts !? Monica will include a photo of this in her new series to be featured on facebook of "amusing signs of india".

we then went to the mysore palace, which is absolutely amazing, beautiful, but it's not allowed to take photos inside. apparantly, according to Asif, there are 27 sites of historical interest in mysore. we didn't go to them all (but he did list them all for us). one thing mysore is famous for is sandalwood oil, apparantly the sandal tree only produces oil in the particular soil around mysore. also they produce other oils and incense. we went to the non-touristy backstreets to a oil shop, that only sells government approved oil. i got some water-lily oil, which is apparantly mosquito repellent, with a guarantee that if i go back tomorrow with any new bites they will give me my money back! i will be v impressed if it works.

Monica mentioned to the oil guy that it is her birthday today (true) and he shouted a few orders to his lad. a few minutes later he dimmed the lights and produced a cake complete with a candle! people can be so nice here it is amazing.

we then went to see a place where they make beedis, the strange little cigarettes that many indians smoke. they are not even made from tobacco but lemon leaves rolled up. they are a bit of an acquired taste but they are very cheap about 10rupees for 25 and i like them! so much for giving up smoking.

we are going later to eat at a place with an all you can eat buffet served on banana leaves for Monica's birthday.

i will try to upload some photos now (i have a new sony cybershot camera as the old fuji was playing up a bit) but the computer is v v slow so might not manage it.













Advertisement



21st April 2010

greetings
Having read your latest entry - sounds like you're having a great time. Karen - I just wanted to say hello and to wish you well.
22nd April 2010

Good luck avoiding the mosquito bites - hope it worked!

Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0473s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb