anjuna - goa


Advertisement
Asia
April 2nd 2010
Published: April 2nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

so we moved on up the coast of goa to anjuna.

anjuna is famous to any old hippies out there for being the scene of all night "goa trance" raves back in the day. none of that goes on anymore, but there are still a few characters around. you get the feeling some people came to goa in the 60's or 80's and just forgot to go home.

palolem was very small and compact, but here in the north places seem to be quite spaced out. this part of goa is also famous for everyone zipping about on scooters all day, and it's actually essential. there are loads of beaches and different towns all just a few kms away from each other. too far to walk and too hot and hectic to catch a bus, so we hired scooters for a few days and have been exploring.

i have to take back a comment i made in my previous entry likening palolem to benidorm.

ok, so there were a handful of package holiday types (no offence). but actually, it was very laid back and pleasant and clean. all the restaurants / bars were closed by 10 or 11pm.

however, we visited two areas in the north called Baga and Calagnute. and they really were just like benidorm (i should say as i imagine benidorm to be, as i have never been, so blackpool maybe). rows and rows of sunbeds.... rows and rows people offering jet skis, parasailing, banana boat etc.

these are popular locations for indian tourists too, fairly well off families or honeymooners come to goa quite a lot. it was interesting to see the different habits on the beach. the westerners all laid in the sun, literaly blistering in some cases covered in oil in the sun. the indian families were all playing the sea, generally fully clothed, whilst the rest of the family stood on the edge of water and watched.

apparantly there's several nightclubs etc in these areas, but it was just so tacky we didn't hang around long to find out.

so anjuna itself is pretty nice really. it's really, really quiet, it's the end of the season so not many people around. i imagine it's quite hectic over christmas and new year. it's funny, cos i didn't realise today was good friday, but actually most of goa is christain as it used to be portuguese, so loads of shops and services were closed today.

after spending all day yesterday on the scooter (by the way, mum, don't worry, tom and rafa are driving and being very very sensible and careful!) i mamaged to get a little bit sunburnt. i was plastering on factor 50 all day but still got a few red patches on my shoulders. so today i was taking it easy and walking through shady lanes and the hippie market on the cliff and it was really nice. we might be moving again in a few days, the others went today to see what arambol further up the coast is like. we're not making any plans to go far yet, as monica still needs to take it easy cos of her foot, so no mammoth journeys for a little while yet.









Advertisement



3rd April 2010

Goa
Hi Karen, here was I pituring you and monica riding scooters then i realised it was the fellows and you were both passengers. Continue to enjoy as i follow you.
4th April 2010

Hello
Helloooooooooo, Have just caught up on your whole blog. Sounds like you are having a fantastic time and I am utterly and completely jealous. The trains sound like great fun! Not as bad as i had heard they would be. Glad to hear you got to be an extra on a Bollywood film (but not have been much fun), but it was something you had said you wanted to do. So at least you can say you did it. I notice you mentioned that you were discussing the benefits system with Monica at one point. Very sad!!!!! Dont discuss work again. The pictures you have put up are really nice. Really like the one with the elephant in the shop. You have missed so much at work........Not.. Work is as crap as ever. Although as of this week I now only work 18hrs. Whoa whoa. So only have to be miserable half the week now rather than the whole week. Ha ha. Have to go now as going on for the day on alcohol. And we are meeting up with everyone else at 10am (in an hour and a half). Speak to you soon Keep posting your entries and photos and continue to make us jealous. Louise p.s. Have some gossip but not posting it on here. I have sent you a message to your inbox on facebook
6th April 2010

Hi Karen, Have this vision of you riding around on the back of a Vespa / Lambretta singing "We are The Mods, We are The Mods"! Not sure the hippies would be impressed with that! It seems like you and Monica are getting on very well with Tom and Rafa. Nice looking blokes! Do you hold on to the back of the scooter or put your arms around them when they're whizzing you about ( very sensibly and carefully )? Vicky xxx

Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 47; dbt: 0.041s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb