dharavi - mumbai


Advertisement
Asia
March 25th 2010
Published: March 25th 2010
Edit Blog Post

mumbai certainly is a city of contrasts. and it's HUGE. today we went to dharavi, described generally as one of asia's biggest slums. the population of mumbai is around 16 million i beleive, and dharavi houses over 60% so do some maths i can't be bothered to come up with a number.

it took an hour to drive from our hotel to dharavi, and it's all just city, and city and more city all the way.

you can see from the photos of marine drive and chowpatty beach how built up it is the main city.

it's hard to desribe dharavi. yes it's unbeleively crowded, dirty, noisy. but it feels very safe, the people seem happy it's actually sort of welcoming. we saw factories where they were recycling everything, scraps of fabric, plastic, keyboards and computer parts, oil cans etc. we saw inside a bakery that was making proper bread that was sold in packets in shops all over mumbai. they also make crisps and biscuits and snacks within dharavi. we spoke for a while with a man who's company distributes suitcases. they are made in delhi, but he supplies them across mumbai. he makes only about 30-40 rupees profit per suitcase, they retail at around 300-400 rupees. he was happy and proud (and a contender for best head wobble in india).

the "main roads" were hectic and loud, but once you got into the alleys where people live, it was actually quite quiet, and cool. whole families of around 8 people live in two rooms. our guide used to live in dharavi and has family still there. we met his brother in laws family.

actually the guide misheard my name when we introduced ourselves, and took me to be called Karina. i quite like it (even though i was not impressed by karina kapoor). when all the kids in dharavi were mobbing us to say hello and calling out "what is your name" i told them karina, which they loved!

it's interesting to note, that there are homeless people in mumbai and you do get children coming up asking for some rupees or food. there are rarely a big problem and go away if you ignore them occassionally i will give them a biscuit or some sweets if i have them. but in dharavi no-one asked for anything, they just wanted to say hello, and ask the standards questions that everyone can say in english "what is your name" "where are you from". i can also ask these in hindi so it's good fun but does get a bit repetitive!

monica's friend, Helena is arriving into mumbai from spain tonight. she will be checking into our hotel here in mumbai, and then tomorrow early we all get the train to goa. rafa and tom are heading to goa tonight, and as we are planning on going to the same area (palolem) it should be dead handy as they can scout for accomodation!

we have given in and bought the "south india" section of lonely planet. the whole thing is just too big but it is somewhat useful.

Helena is only staying for 10 days, but monica and i plan to stay either in goa, or around the area (go kana, hampi, kerela etc) for quite a while longer.

so might be a while before next update as will be on train and sorting out somewhere to stay etc.










Advertisement



26th March 2010

Hiya
Hi Karen sounds like you are having a brill time. I am told you went Bollywood dancing, how could you without me, I am so jealous. Life back here doesnt change but at last its spring so yippeeeeeeeeee. Take care and have loads of fun. Love Lynneeeeee

Tot: 0.151s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.051s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb