trip to Agar


Advertisement
Asia
March 9th 2010
Published: March 9th 2010
Edit Blog Post

nomadic camel caravannomadic camel caravannomadic camel caravan

long camal caravan of a nomadic tribe as they travel through India, sharing our highway
Today we had a long drive to Agar. The 4 lane toll road ran along many villages and farming areas. It was also used by more than motor vehicles. Cows in India are free to wander where they wish in the city or along the highways. Herds of sheep, cows and camel caravans also shared the road. There was also a constant pilgrimage procession of people walking in the opposite direction toward Jaipur on the road. Over 500,000 people are making a biannual 120 mile walk to a Hanuman festival this week near Jaipur. The stream of people was continuous all day on our trip from Jaipur to Agar.

We stopped to tour the "ghost palace" about an hour from Agar. It was built by the first Mogul ruler of India. Very immense. It was only used for 18 months because the lake where it was built near started to dry up. Also toured a very large Mosque built during the same period.

Tomorrow we rise very early to be at the Taj Mahal at sunrise. Tomorrow evening we take an overnight train to Varanasi.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



10th March 2010

Feet
Looks like you are wearing sandals? Hope your feet and all the rest are feeling good. I can only imagine what all the sights and smells and sounds are like. The Taj Mahal is next. I have my Paul Horn cd on right now. Wonder how many times R Zimmerman has been there? Namaste
10th March 2010

reminds me of someone...
Two confirmed bachelors sat talking, their conversation drifted from politics to cooking. “I got a cookbook once,” said one, “but I could never do anything with it.” “Too much fancy work in it, eh?” asked the other. “You said it. Every one of the recipes began the same way – Take a clean dish.”
10th March 2010

Wow
Wow, Very interesting John. Great pictures and what a different way of life. What's the temperature there this time of year?
10th March 2010

Hi John, your blog is so interesting--great pictures too! Looks like you are having a great time. I went away for the weekend and came back to discover dads computer had a bad virus. Am taking it in, so should be able to connect him to this in a couple days. take care and have fun, Julie
11th March 2010

Hi. I finally got some time off from work to see how your trip was progressing. So what do you think of India? Hope you are having fun. Weather has been terrific at home. Where are you now? Riding a Camal? Elephant? or buying Rubies..... Take care and stay safe. See you when you get home....
11th March 2010

Agar or Agra?
Gelling agent or place of the Taj Mahal? Just joshing. Joann uses agar sometimes for thickening... Thanks for putting all the great commentary and pix on the blog. The buildings, people, food and snakes all seem quite fascinating. Speaking of snakes, did you actually have the nerve to touch one? Have you heard anything about the great Mogul emperor Akbar and his wife Jodha? I think they spent time in Jaipur if I remember correctly. Keep up the flow of commentary and pix! Don't forget to get a pic of John on an elephant...

Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.029s; cc: 7; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0197s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb