Guess Where We're Going This Year!


Advertisement
Asia
March 5th 2010
Published: March 5th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Emily & ScottEmily & ScottEmily & Scott

The Med, Boulder, CO, Aug. 2009
John and I are going to China, Taiwan and Hong Kong in September! That decision has invoked more excitement - and dread - than any other plans I’ve ever had to travel anywhere, or do just about anything, in my life.

When the opportunity first presented itself, it was really a no-brainer. John’s son Scott is planning his marriage to Emily, whose family lives in Taiwan. We determined early on that it would be best if we not attend the wedding ceremony in Toronto. However, we learned that Emily’s parents would invite us as their guests to the bride and groom’s “homecoming reception” in Kaohsiung, Taiwan a week later. That is an invitation I would loathe to turn down. So since we would be “in the neighborhood” how could we not take advantage and visit neighboring China and Hong Kong?

I have been in a frenzy of trip planning since the decision was made to undertake this momentous journey. We decided that three weeks would be the minimum needed to do justice to all the things I've always wanted to see. Right now, it looks like we'll start in Beijing, and see the Great Wall, of course. Then on to Xi'an for the Terracotta Warriors, which has been on My List for a long time. After that, to the karst mountains of Guilin, or more specifically, Yanghuo, to float on the Li River and enjoy a country respite. The last stop in China will be Shanghai to soak in the modern vibe as well as the World's Fair going on at that time. We'll stay a few days in Kaohsiung, Taiwan's second-largest city, during which the bride and groom's homecoming will be celebrated in grand style! We've also just learned that we've been invited to join the family for several days in the mountains of central Taiwan at Sun Moon Lake, at the Lalu Resort, only five stars of luxury in a spectacular setting! WOW! Oh, not to forget, a night in Taipei on route to Hong Kong for the four last nights of our Asia epic adventure!

This isn't going to be an easy, relaxing vacation. The prospect of negotiating a country where so little of the communication will be understood, distances long and everything completely foreign is daunting. It's a lot of plan. But luckily, I love trip planning! I don't know how anyone ever pulled off a vacation without the internet to provide so much information, so many tips and tricks. Little by little, I will identify hotels and flights, restaurants and sights. I have to try to leave room for the unexpected too, which sometimes I'm not good with. That's going to be critical for a trip like this. Despite all the challenges, I am so excited for this opportunity!


Advertisement



Tot: 3.875s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0387s; 3; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb