apk


Advertisement
Asia
February 23rd 2010
Published: February 23rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

been at amarpurkashi (apk) for a few days now and really well settled in.

train journey from delhi was fab -slept all the way, really cosy -once we found the correct train. old delhi railway station was chaos. no indication of train on any displays so kept asking people who looked official... "ah yes, platform 7".... "you need platform 9"... "that train is on platform3".... argh! can't beleive we actually found it! but we had a nice air con sleeper cublicle for the three of us (me, monica and marcia) so it was all good once we found it.

got picked up by staff at the project, our co-ordinator Deepu is lovely and really friendly and perfect English!

the first day was a bit overwhelming, we went to the primary school and about a hundred or more little kids crowded round. we are like local celebrities. everywhere we go we attract loads of attention as it is really is a totally non touristy place. it's all fairly good natured though and we just have to learn to ignore it mainly.

we are so well looked after on the project -the food is AMAZING! very simple, rice, chapatis, dhal and veg. but each day it is different and delicious. i never knew there were so many types of dhal! and the chapatis, freshly made, really light and tasty... mmmm. hopefully will learn to make them and maybe get a few other tips!

been to the local town, bilari twice, once to pick fabric and get measured by the tailor, and again to pick up new clothes. they are fab. will try to put up some pics in a minute. the trousers are like massive aladin pants, but really comfy!

we are planning a couple of days trip to agra (taj mahal) later this week,and then maybe varanasi and some hill station towns later on.

starting to very slowly learn some hindi.

so, namaste!

Advertisement



23rd February 2010

So glad you have settled in well. I know what you mean about amarpurkashi being off the ,map.. looked it up and only info that came up was IVCS scheme you are on. Sounds really interesting and friendly.. Must be strange at first to be stared at but understandable as the local area is cut off. Food sounds like a dream... Can't wait to see the photos when you post them... Glad to see you have got a good few trips sorted out.. Lots of love, Stuart x Namaste!
23rd February 2010

namaste
Namaste karen, good to read that you have reached apk safely and have settled in. glad you are enjoying the food. look after yourself and keep us posted of your travels. if you need any info let me know.
23rd February 2010

Enjoy
Pictures are good. Sounds like your having a good time. Admit it your really missing work now !!!!!!!!
23rd February 2010

Enjoy
Pictures are good. Sounds like your having a good time. Admit it your really missing work now !!!!!!!!
25th February 2010

Glad you are settling in
It sounds wonderful! Glad you survived the travelling! I am so looking forward to reading what you do while you are there. XXX

Tot: 0.035s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 21; dbt: 0.0176s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb