Froze my ass off, now sweating it off


Advertisement
Asia
February 8th 2010
Published: February 8th 2010
Edit Blog Post

It's been about 2 weeks since my last update and since then I have left Yuzhno, passed through Seoul and Kuala Lumpur and am now in Ipoh.

My last week in Yuzhno went by quite fast, although i was feeling a bit under the weather during that time. However during those last 5 days there we went an got some babushka dolls, went to the bulk markets again, visited the both American villiages (zima and olympia), visited the Chinese markets, visited Mira St Preute again and made a dinner. The Chinese markets is a bit crazy, it's all outside so people stand around in the freezing cold snow, selling their stuff.
Jake and i found out that i have the distance to hit our window on the 5th floor with a snowball but not the accuracy. However i did successfully, although accidently hit the 4 floor window.

With Jake and Becky's help we managed to make quite a successful chicked burger dinner on the thursday night (28/1), infact Jake probably did the most work cooking. He's a keeper! It's pretty cool opening the window when we make dinner because fog streams in and it looks very rad. So much so that i regret not taking a picture.

The sadness of my departure was marred by the lateness of it. When we arrived at the airport the plane to Khabarovsk was already boarding ;S but it worked out fine and i got on no problems. A word of warning to other people traveling from Yuzhno, they seem to not like making announcements, or just do not so stay aware.
In Khabarovsk i had to walk from the domestic airport to the international one. It's actually only a 10min walk to the right upon exiting the domestic terminal. The map the information girl drew my was largely useless. It's pretty cold on the walk, like nostrils freezing shut cold and the international airport is about a quarter of the size of the domestic.
Anyway got on the plane and to Seoul no dramas. Got on a bus to Backpacker Mr Sea. I found the Korean people to be very friendly and helpful. Maybe because i was so used to the Russian harshness so it seemed extra friendly being in South Korea.

I went for a bit of a walk that night and was a quite surprised with how late everything is open. Need anything at 10:30pm on a monday night from the body shop or a clothes store? Because even that stuff is open there, crazy. I was rushing round a store because i thought they'd be closing soon, but i was wrong, they were not closing soon, i am just an idiot.

I had one proper day in Seouls so I went with Kim to the Russian embassy so she could do her visa stuff and I used the dunny then headed to the art gallery next door. After that i met back up with Kim and we went to a palace, then had bib bim bap for lunch, took a walk to some markets via a book store and ended up walking up the hill to Seoul tower. We stayed there to watch the sunset and take night photos and it was freakin' cold! So we ended up taking the cable car back down and walking around some more markets and getting food from the road side stalls. We ended up sitting down for some bib bim bab and it was awesome, even better than lunch! That and just the fact that i got to eat bib bim bab in Korea.
We headed back to Mr Sea and i got everything ready to leave in the morning and had an early night.

In the morning i got the bus early only to find out that my flight was delayed 8.5hrs! When i checked in the lady said people get a hotel room and lunch so it was pretty good. Walked around the room with my pants off and had a shower. Hey, i hadn't had a room to myself in a while.

Lunch was an awesome buffet, although there was frozen salmon, which was interesting. I don't know if that's a traditional way to do it or not but i think it's a bit weird. I mean i like raw salmon but frozen, it was like a raw flesh popsicle. I'd imagin after a long walk through Yuzhno if you tried to bit my face it would be pretty similar.

Anyway, eventually got on a place got to KL at 3am, waited for the trains to start running and helped a Polish girl find the bus to the domestic terminal in the process. Caught the train to meet my uncle, slept, went to hospital to visit Por Por (grandma). Similar second day. Ipoh Saturday, Ipoh Sunday, and Ipoh today, not doing much here really.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.146s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0447s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb