The Plan


Advertisement
Asia
January 23rd 2010
Published: January 23rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Landing Destination


The Idea.

November '09 we got notice from our landlord that he was intending on selling the apartment we were renting at the time, and we thought this would be a good time to make the jump from renting to owning, so we started looking for apartments in North Vancouver, an area of the lower mainland (British Columbia) that we both really enjoy. After many viewings and checking places out online, we started getting a bit frustrated, with our budget it was hard to find something nice with a bit of room to grow into, and property value was looking like it was about to take a major down turn. One day while discussing our plans we though, If we have enough money to buy a place, but aren't in the right mindset, why on earth are we?? and decided pretty much right then and there to follow a dream we have both had for a long time; See the World!!

From that point on we switched gears and put all our mindset into preparing for the adventure of a lifetime. It hasn't been the easiest of times these past few months, working on budgeting, planning vaccinations, visa's, backpacks and supplies, what we were going to do with all our stuff, (the car has been a big pain in the butt). We're still working on getting things sorted out, but it's coming together before our very eyes, and now we're leaving in 45 days, it's starting to become a realization that this is about to happen, and we're both terrified (in the best sense possible). Neither of us have any idea what we're about to get into. We've both been traveling before, Scott to Europe, myself to Asia. This is something different though, a new adventure, with a different mindset, both more mature and eager to learn about the world, ourselves, and each other.

We're starting off in Bangkok, Thailand. I have been there before, 4 years ago now, but just talking about going I can almost smell the streets of Koh San Road, almost feel the humidity on my skin, I'm getting anxious.

From there we plan on going to either Laos or Cambodia, and then Vietnam and into China. From here our plans are a bit unclear, we want to see Tibet, Nepal, Pakistan, and India, if the budget allows Maldives, and depending on the safety Sri Lanka.

We would also love to take the Trans-Siberian Rail to Moscow, but are not sure again about the budget, eventually winding up in Oslo, Norway (Scott has spent half his life here) and working for some time. It's a good choice as Scott is very comfortable with the culture, and has many family and friends. After Norway our plan is to slowly travel down through Europe and into Africa. This is all at least two years down the road so really anything could happen.

So at this point we're tying up all the loose ends. Selling off the last of the items we don't feel are necessary to keep, packing up the sentimental items, making sure we have the supplies we anticipate we will need (really can you plan for a trip like this beyond the flight and the shoes on your feet?) My notice is given to work, Scott's soon.

all I can say now is stay tuned!

Advertisement



15th May 2010

Awesome!
I can definitely relate and love reading about your story. My bf and I quit our jobs in 2008 and did a year abroad. Best decision we ever made. Even though we are back in a crappy economy and still looking for work it was worth it! Enjoy your travels!

Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 8; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0312s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb