Not a good start


Advertisement
Asia
January 17th 2010
Published: January 18th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Hi

Things didn't get off to a great start , taxi didn't turn up, Al had to ring them to remind them, got to the airport 1/2 hour late. Checked in, full flight, gate opens at 9.40 so we rushed round the shops picking up a few bits and bobs, raising the WorldPoints ATV. Looked at the board again delayed till 11.45, great!! Engine problem, just the sort of thing I didn't need to know as I hate flying at the best of times. They gave us food voucher which didn't bode very well so off we trotted for a glass of vino. Another stroll round to see the ground staff , still not sure when it will be going. Eventually we got off at 3pm, a mere 4 hour delay. This definitely meant that we had missed our connecting flight, a great start to the trip. Boarded the goliath of aeroplanes A380, which actually turned out to be ok, had a nose upstairs, same as downstairs. Suites go at 7k for a round trip, no chance of ever travelling in one of those. Engines are really quiet which is a bonus as I get spooked at the slightest change in their noise. Not too much turbulence just seemed to take forever.

Got to Singapore, they put us on a flight that evening having assured us that the luggage would be on the flight. Just enough time for a bit of airport shopping! Picked up a couple of pairs of shoes, fortunately as you will find out later. Arrive in Hanoi, having been travelling for about 27 hours and guess what the luggage wasn't on the flight. Managed not to throw my toys out of the pram only because there wasn't a Singapore Airlines representative in Hanoi. Luggage would follow next day, Monday and be with us about 3pm.

Monday dawns and we go off on a city tour for the day, we had travelled in walking boots and it is about 23 degrees, warm and sunny so wore one of new pairs of sandals. Never seen traffic like it. Mopeds everywhere, no one stops at traffic lights, pedestrian crossings and crossing the road is definitely taking your life into your own hands. Apparently the best thing is to step out, keep walking and never stop, the traffic will dodge round you!. Got back about 4, having seen Ho Chi Minh's place, a pagoda, water puppet show and a rickshaw ride around the old quarter. My driver drove over someones foot, who wasn;t best pleased, and you guessed it the luggage still isn't here, several calls to the airport, tour operators and eventually England and we have been told that it has arrived and should be here soon. Hence why I am typing this out at frenetic speed to vent some anger. Al needless to say is having to put with some grief at present although it is hardly his fault.

Next installment later this week





Advertisement



Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0396s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb