3rd day in Kathmadu/ Nepal


Advertisement
Asia
January 10th 2010
Published: January 10th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Ok so internet may be advertised readily in KAthmandu but at the rate of 1 minute per site I thik I won't be writing too much.
Arrived in KTH fine, luggage tool like 1hr to arrive with no sign postage to indicate where to collect luggage. Jumped the queue of like 1 mil Nepali's at immigration into the VIP/ Goverment official lane (lol)
Apparently if you want your luggage ASAP all you need to do is find a porter and bribe him so he goes into the loadig zone to get your bags...
Ok, there was like a sea of locals waiting outside to greet the arrivals, FUN and of course soldiers with guns EVERYWHERE
Place of stay simple but great (Elbrus home) in a dingy alley way. OH if you didn't know elec comes and goes all through the day so we had shower by candle light and early nites (8.30pm)
Beggars all around, peddlers of all-sorts pushing their wares and they don't take "NO" for an answer; just walk away QUICK
the air is thick with smog, throat sore, snot black, lungs filled with tar..peeps spit and hack everywhere..GLAMOROUS
WE walk, walk, walk, drink water constantly and avoid getting run over by taxis and bikes, bicycles and trishaws.
Oh do you know that strikes and protests often occur? So we found out on Sunday which meant ALL public transport were banned (army patrolled) hence it was to choice but to hire mountain bikes...and so despite having maps and no traffic we got lost in the beautifeul countryside for like 5-6 hours uphill, potholes, curious country people yelling out "hello, how are you, where do you come from?" and despite saying NZ, they will reply "Oh you are from Switzerland?"
Pix t come, no time to upload them at all.
Ascent to Mt Everest begins at 5am on 11th (Mon). No internet up there sorry :-P
Get a great tan in NZ for me!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0281s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb