Hanoi & Halong Bay


Advertisement
Asia
January 7th 2010
Published: August 12th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Hanoi is the capital and second largest city of Vietnam. Imagine a city where the exotic chic of old Asia blends with the dynamic face of new Asia. Where the medieval and modern co-exist. A city with a blend of Parisian grace and Asian pace, an architectural museum piece evolving in harmony with its history, rather than bulldozing through like many of the region’s capitals. Hanoi is where imagination becomes reality.

A mass of motorbikes swarms through the tangled web of streets that is the Old Quarter, a cauldron of commerce for almost 1000 years and still the best place to check the pulse of this resurgent city. Hawkers in conical hats ply their wares, locals sip coffee and bia hoi (beer) watching life (and plenty of tourists) pass them by. Witness synchronised t’ai chi at dawn on the shores of Hoan Kiem Lake while goateed grandfathers tug at their wisps over the next chess move. See the bold and beautiful dine at designer restaurants and cut the latest moves on the dance floor. Hanoi has it all: the ancient history, a colonial legacy and a modern outlook.

23 December 2009
We finally arrived in Hanoi after travelling for roughly 28 hours. As usual we were dropped off a few kms outside of Hanoi central. During the coach journey we borrowed a locals mobile to call a backpackers that we had picked up a flyer for in Vientiene. We didn't want to leave it until the last minute ;-) The backpackers was called The Drift, it was fairly new, around $3 (US) a night for an 8 bed dorm, including breakfast and the first night was free. It sounded too good to be true but we were plesantly surprised, the rooms were spotless, the ensuite was sparkling, free internet in common areas, comfortable TV room with big plasma and cafe on the ground floor with fridge full of beer that reception will serve 24 hours. There was us 7 and a guy called Bobby who we met on the coach. That evening we had a few Tiger beers then went to bed ready for the next few days.

24 December 2009
Got up and had the free breakast, which consisted of bananas, toast and tea or coffee. Just the job. We planned to do our secret santa shopping and the couples would buy each other presents. We obtained a map and the location of the shopping area from reception then set off. Reading the map and navigating the street was not easy as the streets have no structure like a tangled web. Once out on the main roads we noticed there were swarms of motorbike going in all directions. There is a couple of million motorbikes in Hanoi. Crossing the road is crazy as so many bikes and some carry on even when the traffic lights change to red. After a while we realised you just have to look straight ahead and cross, the bikes go round you. If you hesitate they will probably hit you. Anyway, after looking around some shops and a few markets we stumbled on a big shopping mall, it had christmas trees, decorations, santas, pretend presents, etc. We all felt in the cristmas spirit. We split up and commenced our shopping. I bought Daniel (my secret santa) a bottle of Chinese Whiskey which was ridiculously strong. After a while I bumped into the others and we found some kids costumes so proceeded to trying them on and thought it was hilarious, people were looking in amazement not knowing what to make of us. I purchased a kids fox's outfit that was way to small but Sam agreed to help me tailor it. The others bought santa outfits which were pretty cool. I went over to Hanoi Backpackers to see the NZ gang and to find out what the hostel was putting on for christmas dinner as our hostel wasn't doing traditional lunch. They were doing traditional lunch with all the trimmings for around 70 party animals with free sangria and wine for 300,000 dong (approx 7 pound), bargain! Do they know how much we will drink? Obviously not. By now I was actually getting excited for christmas. I know, totally out of character. I had a quick beer then went back to our hostel for my fitting with Sam. We had to cut the outfit up and move bits about but in the end I thought it looked awesome, the flying british christmas fox, very traditional. On the evening we went to St Joseph Cathedral were everyone was gathered outside for mass then onto the old quarter for some dubutchery. Starting at Bia hoi (beer corner) where it was 3000 dong for a half of beer (about 7p) then onto the Hare of the Dog. After a few more bars in the old quarter we ended up on a docked boat called club Solace, on the Red River, it was very busy but there was a moody atmosphere so we didn't hang around too long.

25 December 2009
Christmas morning, we woke up and wished each other a happy christmas. I put some christmas songs on, whilst the secret santa presents were handed out. Elaine went the bar and got the drinks in, fair play. The lads decided it was ok to attend breakfast in our pants. As it was christmas we oredered fry ups with beers. Back to the room to get our costumes on. Barry, Daniel and Kieran decided to shower together, enticing Bobby (the other guy in our room) in. There was a lot on strange noises coming from the shower but Bobby returned looking quite happy with himself. After putting on our costumes we made our way to Hanoi Backpackers with the locals looking on with intrigue. Upon arrival we noticed we were the only ones dressed up and everything looked very civilised. Well that was about to change! As we had a big night Christmas Eve and a few beers in the morning we were on our way by now. The freeflowing beer and sangria kept us on form, taking control of the music and singing songs. The dinner was decent considering we were in Vietnam. After dinner we started a bar crawl with the majority of the dinners. The first bar was ridicuolously cheap and we pretty much had it to ourselves. A small bottle of snake whiskey (bottle of whiskey with a snake inside) turned up from somewhere, which we all had a try. Once finished I decided I would try the snake, the waiters took the bottle away and got the snake out, I bit the head off and swallowed it. One of the kiwi's tried the same but couldn't get it down his neck. Barry went to the toilet so I got everyone to start chanting his name and then we got him to stand on the table and perform. He didn't know what to do so just pulled his pants down. The banter continued for a few more drinks. The others headed back to our accommodation to skype their families. I headed to Finigans with the kiwis. A few more beers then me and Alice walked down the road and had some food in a typical Vietnamese cafe, kitchen with service area and tables out on the footpath. We sat with some Vietnamese people and asked them to order the food for us as the menu was only in Vietnamese. We had chicken and rice soup, it was amazing so I had seconds. We checked into a hotel to end the perfect day/night.

26 December 2009
Boxing Day normally a big day at home. Woke up and had to put my foxes outfit on before doing the walk of shame across town. Some very strange looks and fully justified. Didn't do much in the day as everyone feeling a little fragile from the previous 2 nights. On the evening we went to watch the Waterpuppets, only for us to mistime it, we had a look around the shops and ended up on Bia Hoi (beer corner). I met an irish couple so took them to Hare of the Dog then to Finigans. It was a quiet night so didn't stay out too late.

27 December 2009
The next morning we had booked a day trip to Halong Bay and a flight for the following morning to Danang which is the nearest airpot to Hoi An. A natural wonder, 3000+ limestine pinnacles protruding from the waters with grottoes and caves created by the wind and sea. We decided a day was enough as the weather had not been great. It was 3 hours on a minibus to the boat, 4 hours around the bay then 3 hours back. The bay was beautiful but the photos do not do it justice as the weather was overcast. There was even a few showers. However, we're from Birmingham so that didn't bother us. On our way around the bay we had lunch which was nice, traditional Vietnamese seafood dishes. Next We stopped at a floting fishing village and hired kayaks out, only our lot was interested as raining. Off we went in just our swimming shorts. The other people on our boat, who were mainly from SE Asia, though we were crazy. We kayaked through some caves were a James Bond movie had been filmed. Next we got off the boat and walked through one of the large caves, which was lit up with different coloured lights to emphasize the limestone formations. Finally we headed back to shore and our minibus. On arrival back to the accommodation we found out Villa were on so went to a pub round the corner to watch it. Alice joined us. The Villa got beat by Arsenal. We were getting picked up at 3:30 and it was nearly midnight so me, Alice and Kieran watched Apocolypse now with a few beers. By the time we got picked by for the flight I was rather tired so slept on the flight.


Additional photos below
Photos: 65, Displayed: 28


Advertisement



12th August 2010

Hi Dean Great to hear from you again even though your mum keeps me informed on what you are up to. I know you are know in Aussie land and soon will be moving around. All ok here, boys enjoying summer break, saw your mum, catherine and josh last weekend in brum, Take care keep safe, Love you lots, Auntie Pauline XXXXXXXXXXXX

Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 5; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0324s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb