Roar, roar, roar your boat


Advertisement
Asia
January 4th 2010
Published: January 5th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We travelled from Battambang to Siem Reap by boat along the Tonle Sap river. The guide book suggested it would be a "bird watchers' paradise", so we had high hopes when we boarded the slow boat (35 seats with splace at back on on roof for more)...well, praps you need to be a bird watcher with bird spotting talents. The boat was so loud, an amateur like myself would think they've all flown off at the sound of us approaching from a mile away :o))
Actually we did see some but my pathetic knowledge of birds means all I can report here is that we saw something that looked a bit like a kingfisher but not in the colours i know and some heron-like birds that were probably something completely different. Pretty shoddy, huh?
We passed some small villages with those Chinese fishing nets, which was quite exciting, as I never got to the Keralan backwaters in India...I tooksome incredibly bad photos of those.
And some of the scenery was beautiful - and quite blissful despite the engine noise. Interesting to see some local passengers getting off , and supplies being delivered at various floating villages along the way.

When we hit the Tonle Sap lake we were quite impressed by the sheer size of it. It was like we'd come out to sea.
Then we arrived at the village on the lake where tuk-tuk drivers gather round desperate to take us lot to Siem Reap. Not as pushy or hassly as we expected though.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.134s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0392s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb