Agra


Advertisement
Asia
November 19th 2009
Published: November 20th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Well we checked out of our hotel in delhi and were walking through the maze of alley ways out on to main bazaar when a bird pooed on my head i wasnt too impressed as i knew i would be able to shower until we got to agra! adam on the other hand found it hilarious but they say it brings good luck.. and it did.. more on that later tho!

our train journey was good and everything went smoothly we picked up a very helpful and friendly rickshaw driver at the prepid stand out side the station and we arranged with himto take us round all the sights the nxt day for just 450 rps (less than 6 quid) and he would wait andeverything. the first hostel we went to had no rooms left other thana deluxe for 1050 so our rickshaw man took us to 'saii palace' where we have a massive room with two double beds. an amzing upside is the rooftop view which is trulyspectacular and looking at the taj from here is mesmerizing with no obstructions from other buildings or trees. only down side is the shower is less than a trickle so adam had to wash the bird poo out of my hair for me with ajug and amzingly cold water. we ate a restaurant which wasnt too impressive considering it was recommended by lonely planet and then found a nice rooftop restaurant where they sell beer in tea mugs. but we did have a early night as our alarm was to be set for 5 30 the next morning. however we had another pretty sleepless night and were pretty much awake at5 as the early morning prayers were being called out across town by tanoy and was very loud.

We had some breakfast at an earlymorning place called joneys we had ommlettes and coffee with a cat that got very comfy on adams lap much to my amusement. then walkedto the taj which was literally a two minute walk away the queue wasnt too long and then this is where the luck comes is because a tout had toldusthe night before that the ta was going to b free tomorrow we thoughthe was lying but tured out he wasnt. so today we calculatethat we have saved something near to 2500 rps. turns outitis national heritage week so all the heritage sight were free includingthe fort and everything else that e saw today.

so the taj first thing this morning was breathtaking took a billion photo which unfortuantely we cant up load so everyone will have to wait till we get home. me and adam decided that the best time to go fter havinggone this evening as well was the morning. the eveninggave it a ull grey look whithout the sun whereas this morning even with out the sun it had a pink glow and this evning it was packed people were snaked round the main buidling waiting to get in.

our taxi man cudnt make oday but he arranged another very nice man to takeus round. first stop was the fort which is 3 km around the entire things and was amazing but most of itwas closed off to the public as the army are still there. next was the baby taj which was built 25 years before the taj and os pretty much the same but smaller. then we went to the back of the taj and saw it from across the river whilst sat in the garden. After this we went to the taj again but this time to watch the sunset overall the taj. Overall agra was pretty good seeing everthing but all the other sights were over shadowed by the taj. We set off for jaipur tomorrow which should be good but not looking forward to the 5 30 wake up to catch the 6 15 trains!!!! xxxxxx

Advertisement



20th November 2009

You two are so lucky. I'm really jealous. Except for the bird poo, that's just gross. Stay safe and have a great time in Jaipur. oxox

Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0485s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb