Bangkok


Advertisement
Asia
October 10th 2009
Published: October 11th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in bangkok at about 8pm local time, (3am nz time). daytime flights are torture! Went through the massive airport and caught a massive taxi with all our bags to our hotel with no problems. Pretty sweet drive, motorway the whole way and then chaotic traffic as soon as we hit the suburbs. Anyway we stayed in the touristy area with tuk tuks blasting around, bulk scooters and everybody trying to peddle thier crap. honestly you couldnt look at anything without them hawking you. Extremely hot. Gem struggled in the sun. We cruised around the market stalls for a bit and ate some weird sausage things and spring rolls. Came across this huge shed packed with thai people (no tourists) and they were all buying these lotto ticket things i think! there were millions of them in there! we got out pretty quick and caught a tuk tuk to big buddha. pretty sweet big golden buddha where we lit incense and did all that your supposed to do. tuk tuk man waited for us and then took us to his jewellery shop suprise suprise and then to sitting buddha. The sitting buddha was really cool, we met a local enlish teacher in there who taught us how to pray to buddha properly and then proceeded to have a long conversation with us to practice his english. He was doing the usual where are you from where are you going etc, and then told us about how today was a government holiday and the best day to catch tuk tuks because theyre free. ours cost us 20baht. dodgy tuk tuks man.

Next up was lunch. Green thai curry in thailand - off the chain. pad thai was pretty sweet too. went back to the airport to catch our flight to hanoi, and i watched a lightning storm out the window while we took off. pretty cool.

Now while we thought bangkok was chaotic, nothing could prepare us for hanoi. scooters EVERYWHERE. Our taxi was driving along in a sea of scooters where the only rule is that the horn rules. and this taxi wasnt even a real taxi as we found out when we got out. as soon as we got on the motorway the boot started bouncing up and down, the latch was broken so we put our bags on the inside. finally reached our hotel after a seriously hair raising ride to find that our room wasnt ready so we had to wait for 45 mins, so we went for a walk. its absolute carnage in the old quarter on saturday night! just people everywhere. not many tourists, just so many people! and scooters! anyway got back to our hotel a bit later for much needed rest.



Advertisement



11th October 2009

Woop Woop little travellers!
Hey Chris and Gemara!!! Sounds like you having a blast! Keep us boring old Wellingtonians updated Be safe!

Tot: 0.242s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.1104s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb