Last day in Bagan and overall experience in Myanmar


Advertisement
Asia
June 19th 2009
Published: July 23rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

We decided to do one more morning visit before we caught the overnight bus back to Yangon. We started a little later but still managed to make it for sunrise. Our horse cart driver from the day before said his brother will take us around instead, which was fine by us. Nice of him to share the wealth. In the end we were glad as he chose some really beautiful places to take us.

We went to the same temple in the morning as the day before so afterword I pointed on my map from the guide book that we'd like to visit a different area. Our driver took us off in that direction. We noticed a lot more activity, more farmers steering ox and plow, a group of workers digging, women collecting firewood and others working in the fields. Highlights from this morning were a huge restored temple with a large flat roof with lots of room to look around. It had great views of the temples and river in the west and the mountains to the south. The wind cooled us off despite the sun and the view was fantastic.

Later we headed to an area with
Bagan Finish 001Bagan Finish 001Bagan Finish 001

Sunrise and it was worth getting up really early second day in a roll.
a dense collection of Payas, many of which were unrestored revealing the damage from the earthquake that destroyed them several decades earlier. Despite the fact it was only 9:30 we were pretty much ''templed out''. Our guide took us to one last one with beautiful murals inside and then he took us back out of the temple area down a shaded lane lined with big Tamarind trees leading us back to town.

I (Geoff) managed to stay awake for the rest of the afternoon aiming to peak my lack of sleep for the dreadful overnight bus to Yangon. I was dreading the bus ride back to Yangon but we had only a few days left and couldn't figure out a better route to go without the rides being longer and more expensive. So, we sucked it up and decided to spend our last few days resting in Yangon.

In the end of our visit, as it was with every country we've visited, are worries were reassured. Doubting ourselves and questioning whether or not to go was a mistake. Myanmar has the most differences compared to home in terms of comforts, culture, food, and freedom but it has a lot to offer curious travellers. Though our experience was rich, the month we were there did not give us enough time to experience the variety of environments and peoples that exist there. It was not a relaxation vacation and the food took some getting-used-to but there are many quiet and peaceful places and great and interesting things to try and see. Most of the locals were very easy going and the atmosphere was relaxed despite the entrepreneurial spirit that exists there. The economy that does exist is very creative compared to countries with developed tourism. We really enjoyed the sense of community in Myanmar. Many locals we met were very friendly, helpful and honest. Locals we talked to were eager for us to experience their way of life. They wanted us to support local shops and visit some tourist sites but most importantly see the local way of life. The people we spoke have strong values and have a keen sense for fairness and justice. In cities we saw big trucks and nice Jeeps roaming around town. Mid - high end restaurants are enjoyed by elites who throw back bottles of whiskey with friends. Busy Tea shops with men chatting away were always a highlight. As was seeing and learning about the dominant religion, Buddhism, and how it is integrated in daily life. For a country that is repressed by a lack of freedom and wealth its amazing to see so much activity and life!



Additional photos below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



3rd September 2009

the picutres from this are beautiful. the sunrise one specifically COME HOME. e

Tot: 3.956s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0835s; 3; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb