Observing Awkwardness in: The Indian Subcontinent


Advertisement
Asia
June 1st 2009
Published: June 12th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Well, maybe a little less observing and a little more being the cause of said awkwardness. . .

1. Sitting in the departure lounge at the Colombo, Sri Lanka airport sitting next to monks and receiving death stares from fellow passengers, and eventually being told off by the Sri Lankan Airways air hostess. I look up to see the sign I was sitting under read "Reserved For Clergy." - Awkward.

2. On a bus from Kathmandu to Pokhara in Nepal, a young man sitting in front of me is slowly falling asleep. The roads in Nepal are particularly windey and as we turn a corner we also hit a bump in the road, sending the man sideways onto the floor, whacking his head on a seat on the way! - Painful, but funny!

3. At Delhi International Airport going through a very thorough security check. A security officer finds a small tin at the bottom of my bag and attempts to open it. The lid is on tighter than he expects, so uses a bit more force than necessary, eventually sending the lid and the contents of the tin, about 10 tampons, flying across the table onto the floor in front of the rest of the passengers on my flight. - Awkward.

4. Getting rammed in the backside by a massive cow in Orchha, India, and screaming like a little bitch.

5. Throwing up in front of the passengers in the VIP room at the train station in Agra, India. - Oh so awkward.

6. Attempting Kundalini Meditation in Pokhara, Nepal. 15 minutes shaking, 15 minutes dancing, 15 minutes sitting, 15 minutes lying down with a British expat Osho lover (who really, really got into the shaking and dancing), while trying my hardest not to piss myself laughing.

7. At the Himalayan lookout in Sarangkot, Nepal alone taking many dicky photos of myself using the trusty self timer mode on my camera, star jumps, spirit fingers, jazz hands, 'the thinker', yoga poses etc.... to discover an entire schoolroom class were watching and laughing at me the entire time - Awkward.

8. In a Kathmandu Tibetan Thunkpa Art Store purchasing some Buddhist paintings, an American walks in with a cigarette in hand and the owner politely tells him he cannot smoke inside the store (I mean, really.) He goes to flick the cigarette outside of the store, but doesn't aim well as it lands on one of the paintings setting it alight and nearly burning down the store. - Awkward!

9. Being evacuated from Lumbini, Nepal after Maoists call a strike in our area, we are waiting patiently by our escape vehicle when our driver's mobile starts ringing and he desperately tries to hide his ringtone from us, The Vengaboys Boom Boom Boom! - That's not even awkward, it was fricking amazing.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0272s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb