Koh Pha Ngan - Backpacker's Paradise


Advertisement
Asia
July 1st 2007
Published: July 1st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Tea House in Haad Bo PhutTea House in Haad Bo PhutTea House in Haad Bo Phut

We found this great Thai-German Teahouse in Fisherman's Village with an amazing view.
KOH PHA NGAN

Koh Pha Ngan is a beautiful island. Probably our favorite. The food is cheap, the shops were some of the best that we saw in Thailand, and there's a party every night. The bungalow that we were able to snag was a cut above, with a unrivaled view, and a swanky cliff-top pool a short walk up the hill. We spent most of our time shopping, eating, sunbathing, and people watching.

Which brings us to the only negative aspect of Koh Pha Ngan. It being a "backpacker's paradise", it tends to attract certain groups of people. And apparently due to the timing of our trip, the group of people that we were surrounded by made Koh Pha Ngan seem like a tropical isle off the coast of Britain. Yep, 95%!o(MISSING)f the numerous travelers on Koh Pha Ngan were English late-teen early twenty somethings ready for a post university "rager". (Apparently Bristish Universities just started summer break) Just imagine the sight of an entire beach covered in charred red bodies, the sweet sounds of cockney accents, and the smells of alcohol rather than sweat evaporating from skin. Don't get us wrong, it wasn't that bad, but it did taint the exotic island vibe a bit.

The Full Moon Party was a mixture of the Burning Man festival and Vegas, on a beach. Pretty crazy.

We're off to India and we're staying in an ashram/yoga retreat in Kerala. Here are some more pictures. Hope everyone is doing well. Take care and write soon.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

View from the Bungalow PoolView from the Bungalow Pool
View from the Bungalow Pool

Our bungalow had a cliff-top pool we were able to use.
Monkey JunkMonkey Junk
Monkey Junk

The pool had 2 resident monkeys that would make an appearance each day.


3rd July 2007

Thailand
Great sunsets and beautiful scenary. Sounds like a good plan for India because of the inclement weather in that area. Keep tabs on the monsoon locations. Anyway,have fun and stay safe. Keep posting you're updates, we look forward to them. Love you both, Mad Dog and Haole Girl
5th July 2007

wow!
thank you for sharing! what a trip! we love seeing your faces...cal and yduj1
5th July 2007

Sweaty Lobsters
Can I just say that the ponytail-tea sipping picture has to be one of my favorites. . . .

Tot: 0.178s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 66; dbt: 0.087s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb