Sea Day


Advertisement
Asia
April 9th 2023
Published: April 9th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Blog 14_Japan_2023



April 3 Sea Day – Weather: 70°F/21°C under broken clouds – wind speed 17.8 mph



Today was a restful day after two hectic shore excursion, eight hours each, filled days. Overnight the ship moved into the Japanese time zone, so we lost an hour’s sleep. As with most sea days the onboard activities crew set up several events to occupy their guests. There were two highlights to our day the first being the Mariner’s Lunch, HAL’s recognition event for their loyal guests. The second event was in many ways more exciting.

At approximately 10:45 am the Captain made a public announcement that there had been an electrical fire in the starboard asipod which serves as both propeller & rudder. The Chief Engineer had to shut that unit down requiring the Captain to reduce the ship’s speed from 19 knots to 13 knots as we operated on the port side asipod alone. By 1:30 pm the Captain made another announcement that the engineering crew had successfully replaced some of the faulty electrical components and restored power to 50 % of the asipod’s capacity allowing the Bridge crew to returned to a sailing speed of 17 knots. This may delay our arrival in Kagoshima, Japan tomorrow morning. We shall see. The Captain did say that additional spare parts had been ordered and will be delivered to the ship when we return to Yokohama on April 10th.

B attending the continuing lecture series on Japan presented by Dr. Tam while I tried to catch up on these blogs.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 14; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0245s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb