Paradise on Earth


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam
July 30th 2010
Published: July 28th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 20.9511, 107.08

Well, as Kylie would say, "Wow wow wow wow!" Halong Bay is simply the most beauoful place I have ever been to in my life. Wew had a 4 hour journey to the boat, and then were told our boat was not ready, and so we had to have an upgrade. Damn! So, we tendered out to the boat, were met with a drink and a towel and then went to our cabins. They were beautiful, with gorgeous views out of the window of all of the lime-stone rocks we sailed past. For those of you who have no idea what or where Ha Long Bay is, it sits on the East Coast of Vietnam, about 200km from Hanoi. The bay is made up of thousands of limestone peaks which are dotted throughout the green-blue wayers of the sea there, and it is divine. Photographs will not do it jutice. Simply gorgeous.

We had fantastic seafood lunch and dinner, in which a seemingly endless supply of dishes were brought to our table by ever-attentive waiters. Then we left the boat to visit a large cave which was used as a refuge for fisherman when the typhoons used to hit the bay. It was a hefty 100 or so steps up to the cave, and heat in Halong By was intolerable. Having thtough that we were going to hit the rainy season, in fact we have hot, hot, hot, hot sunshine and been boiled alive. I am a tad sweaty on all of my photos! Stalagtites and stalagmites formed goreous statues through the cave, enhanced by atmospheric lighting. It was like being transported to a fairy grotto. Then, we reboarded the tender and sailed to our own private beach for a swim in the bath-like waters. Climbing back onto the baot, there was time for a quick shower before watching the (sadly cloudy) sunset with a drink in hand and then down for our seafood dinner, before laying back on the loungers on the top deck of the boat and gazing heaven-wards. It was the most romantic place I have ever been to, and truly a day and night to remember.

The following morning, we woke early and hopped into a double kayak for a tour of the most serene and breathtaking lagoon. The walls rose up to about 30 metres above us,and no motorised transport was allowed through the limestone tunnel whcih provided access. We kayacked around in perfect silence, the only noise that of a sea-eagle as it swooped down into the lagoon to catch its breakfast. Another fantastically romantic experience which will stay with me forever.

We had our final lunch aboard the boat and then headed back to Hanoi for our night train. Our local guide told us about his family history, and it is only by hearing their stories first hand that you realise how recent the Vietnamese history really is.

We arrived back in Hanoi, poor me complete with a bad case of travlrler's tummy, and had drinks with Darren in the roof-top cafe overlooking the lake.

Then it was off to the station to board the overnight train. Having travelled in China and India by train, I was expecting nothing more than basic, but we were treated to an AC cabin with comfortable beds and freshly laundered bedding - a luxury compared to the 4th class-travel experienced before! The jounrye was spent in our 4 berth cabin playing scrabble, and cards (and sleeping done by me as tummy was still bad) and then being rocked to sleep by the train. Most people had a terrible night's seep. I flourished and woke up feeling like I'd had a great night's sleep. We did however, have to close our door against the rancid smell of a man in the corridor eating a local delicacy... fertilised eggs with baby chicks inside... The smell was revolting and made me feel pretty rough. Toilets on a train are not so fun when you are sick. Nice!

Tummy still bad in the morning. We woke up in the Imperal city of Hue! More on that in the next blog!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.236s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.15s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb