Cat Tien National Park


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam
October 1st 2006
Published: October 4th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Cat Tien NPCat Tien NPCat Tien NP

Jason you would have loved this tree!
Well a couple of days amongst nature turned out to be a shorter stay than we though due to the incessant rain that seems to be falling from the sky. Some locals call it wet season.

After getting up early and doing the standard fall asleep on the bus due to candle burning at both ends. We passed through some cool towns on the way to Cat Tien including one that seemed to be built around some huge volcanic boulders. We knew we were getting close because the obligatory gang of motorcycle riders appeared next to the bus screaming at the driver for falangs to take to the NP - some 26km from the highway. So we were promptly dumped on the side of the road somewhere between Saigon and Dalat (Tan Phe??) and subjected to the overwhelming haggling that went on for our business, including sabotage of our bags by certain bike riders to ensure we went with them.

Suffice to say we were soon on the back of the bikes and whisking away through more scenery only 150,000D what a bargain??

Arriving at the ferry we were told by the man that it should have cost
Cat Tien NPCat Tien NPCat Tien NP

A tree that looks like a ...
us 50,000, so we compromised and gave the guys 100 thou. Shoulda coulda woulda....

Across the river to the NP and we were ushered to our room a quaint little place (without the trimmings). Signing up for a guide for the afternoon to take us on a 3 hour trek through the rainforest and a night safari. The much lauded Crocodile Lake was unfortunately underwater (hey, its a lake) and many of the roads were impassable due to the rain.

So we went on a loop of the nearby rainforest with a very knowledgeable (and obligatory) guide who told us all about every single species of flora and fauna we encountered. This meant stopping every 20m or so for explanations. Given that most of the trail was mud or rivulets of water - leeches were in abundance and stopping every 20m also gave us the opportunity to pick some 10-20 of them off our leech socks at each stop which we'd wisely purchased before going.

Despite the merciless attacks from bloodsuckers, we saw some cool gliding lizard that was able to fly from the treetops to the ground using a form of webbing between its feet and
Cat Tien NPCat Tien NPCat Tien NP

The super flying lizard.
body. We saw the dangerous (but not deadly) yellow necked snake which slithered across our path (we weren't quick enough for a photo - sorry) plenty of colourful birds flying overhead, some funky snails and dragonflies and the recent tracks of a sun bear were some of the fauna highlights.

Flora included the laengerhorn tree?? from which local coffins are crafted, some impressive strangler figs (Jason you would have been hugging like mad) and rattan trees which seemed to catch any item of clothing you had on, on their numerous spikes - these were used in local houses and in meals. We were then able to venture inside a tree and look up into the inner trunk where a number of lianas had taken over and no doubt a host of living creatures. Needless to say we didn't stay inside for long.

All in all a nice way to spend the afternoon, before the rain came down again - destroying all chances of going on the night safari. So an early night was on the cards despite the tempting offers of Karaoke at the canteen...

The next morning we breakfasted and were leaving the canteen when we
Cat Tien NPCat Tien NPCat Tien NP

Inside a coffin tree. "There are all sorts of creatures live here in wet season"
were confronted by some rather territorial monkeys munching on a baguette who pretty much chased us down the path. Mate, just quietly we couldn't fit another thing in.

So after a brief but enjoyable stay we packed our bags and were back on the road to Dalat - this timne negotiating the right price for our bikes on the way back.




Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Cat Tien NPCat Tien NP
Cat Tien NP

Even the dunnies had a 'natural' feel.


Tot: 0.203s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 85; dbt: 0.1135s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb