Tank filled with seahorses in NHa Trang harbour- What do they do with those seahorses ?


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam
April 14th 2015
Published: April 14th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Every year a more than 150 million seahorses are used in the Traditional Medicine Trade.There are 65 to 85 countries participating in the Traditional Medicine Trade. Seahorses and other creatures (land and sea) are used for supposed cures for many ailments; however scientific research shows there is no basis for any of the claims made in the Traditional Medicine Trade that seahorses can cure ailments.NOw its come to a point where Seahorses can be bought in a pill version , to save time . As before you would have to buy seahorses and make your own medicine. Pills contain undersized seahorses that have not gotten a chance to grow to the grown up level and breed .



They catch male seahorses from wild that are pregnant , so this creates a problem of extinction . As there are no baby seahorses to grow up . Death of the Seahorse :"The death of a seahorse to be used in the TCT is not pleasant; it is caught from the sea and hung in the sun until it dies, where it desiccates as it wriggles in its death. Once it is dead and dried it is sold by the indigenous fisher to a middleman. The fisher makes just a few cents whereas the middle man puts a big mark up on the cost of the seahorse and makes a large profit. The seahorses are then sold to markets or factories for preparation into medicines."





Source of this story is : http://www.parrotfishjourney.com/latest-post/tank-filled-with-seahorses-in-nha-trang-harbour-what-do-they-do-with-those-seahorses


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0314s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb