Saigon, sombreros and singing


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam
November 2nd 2008
Published: November 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: musical... 12 secs
Saigon - had fun ticking off tourist destinations and activities..cyclo rides, Cu Chi tunnels, pagodas and museums. It was interesting to see so many places we had read about or seen in movies or books.
The Cu Chi tunnels, some 200km of tunnels and rooms built and used by the Vietcong and villagers during the war, were an amazing example of the tenacity and ingenuity employed by the Vietnamese during the war.
We tried to take up the haki-sack type game that all the youngsters play at night (but we are so not agile). And discovered we weren't the only ones who had some doubts about traditional Vietnamese music (the lady at the end of the video recognised us a as fellow sceptics and came to exchange views later).
What we really enjoyed then most was just wandering the city, eating for about $2 on the night markets (barring the live toads we were offered one night) and occasionally splashing out for a budget-breaking cocktail in bars that we had read about in one of the many Western books about the war (The Sorrow of War by Bao Ninh, which was sold on every street corner, was a slight antidote to testosterone filled war accounts).
Oh we had a great time. But heading out on the second night we decided to head to the Rex for a swanky cocktail. What a mistake. It was Halloween and we were surrounded by American teenagers (sons and daughters of rich expats or diplomats) in fancy dress (girls as devils or angels..sigh..boys as GI's or hot dogs..very appropriate). But the true killer was the half German/half Canadian singer who trotted out some of the worst Tom Jones covers we have ever ever heard accompanied by a Mexican-themed band in sombreros.
Time to leave Vietnam a little voice is telling us...


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Air vent to allow circulation of some fresh airAir vent to allow circulation of some fresh air
Air vent to allow circulation of some fresh air

hard to spot as it looks like a termite mound
HellllooooooHelllloooooo
Helllloooooo

Thank god they widened the tunnels for tourists


Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 71; dbt: 0.0772s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb