Vietnam, Saigon (Ho Chi Minh City) & Mekong Delta


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam
May 6th 2008
Published: May 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Pictures Of Vietnam... Text Coming!


Additional photos below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

WelcomeWelcome
Welcome

We were excited about going into Vietnam. We were ready! This was just past the border station. Again from this area we could tell that Vietnam was a wealthier nation than Cambodia
Border, Entering Vietnam, Nice Place!Border, Entering Vietnam, Nice Place!
Border, Entering Vietnam, Nice Place!

So different and cleaner than Cambodia, so far.
Snake whiskey..Snake whiskey..
Snake whiskey..

At our first stop in Vietnam, a little restaurant/store, we encountered the very popular drink which the men especially in the Mekong area like to drink for male potency. Eeewwee, pythons eating other snakes inside! Some bottles also contain spiders and scorpions.
Saigon Traffic And WiresSaigon Traffic And Wires
Saigon Traffic And Wires

We didn't think it could get any worse than in Bangkok and Manila, but here it is... another electricians' nightmare!
Saigon (Ho Chi Minh City)Saigon (Ho Chi Minh City)
Saigon (Ho Chi Minh City)

Picture taken from the top floor of the Sheraton Hotel. They had a great dance band there that night.
Yum! Mangosteens are in season!Yum! Mangosteens are in season!
Yum! Mangosteens are in season!

One of the many female street vendors and how they carry their wares or foods around the cities.
Women Keep Their Faces CoveredWomen Keep Their Faces Covered
Women Keep Their Faces Covered

At first we thought because of pollution. But the major reason is to keep the sun off their faces. White is in... and beautiful to them.
War Remnents MuseumWar Remnents Museum
War Remnents Museum

The museums are reminders of the war and very present here. So glad I had a high lottery draft number in 1971.
Cu Chi TunnelsCu Chi Tunnels
Cu Chi Tunnels

We visited the famous tunnel network that was used by the North Viet Cong during the war. This was a separate 1 day tour not far from Saigon (many S. Vietnamese call their city by this name still).
My First Saigon Taxi RideMy First Saigon Taxi Ride
My First Saigon Taxi Ride

I didnt know the whole family was my driver when I agreed with the husband to this taxi ride.
Rush Hour In SaigonRush Hour In Saigon
Rush Hour In Saigon

Also known As Motorbike city. Many more of them than anywhere else. In this sprawling city most of the streets are very wide...not easy for a pedestrian to cross!
Traffic ArtTraffic Art
Traffic Art

There is an art to driving and crossing the street here!
Mekong DeltaMekong Delta
Mekong Delta

We opted for the 2 day tour of the Mekong Delta, since it was only about $25.00 each including lodging, most food, boats, transportation, and tours.
Floating Market on the MekongFloating Market on the Mekong
Floating Market on the Mekong

This is for all the people who live on the river so they never have to step on land if they don't want! The Mekong Delta is so AMAZING! It is SO BIG! with 6 mouths, some that are really huge.
Home On The MekongHome On The Mekong
Home On The Mekong

Many of the 'homes' have big fish nets and fish holding tanks under them. These can cost as much as equivalent of $100,000. because they are also buying a business. These businesses make a lot of money we were told by our guide.
River HouseRiver House
River House

A little closer view
William and Christina cruisin'William and Christina cruisin'
William and Christina cruisin'

down a small capillary of the mekong. It was fun but eerie to imagine being an American soldier in the 60s wondering when you might get shot...


Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0464s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb