Last Days of Vietnam


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam
July 20th 2007
Published: July 20th 2007
Edit Blog Post

It seems like forever ago already, but I'll try to recap how we spent our last few days in Vietnam.
So our last day in Nha Trang we went and toured some sights. We saw a huge Buddha, went to some beaches and hung out and waited for the bus. The bus to Saigon was miserable. I hate to be a complainer, but it was hell. Somewhere along those twelve hours I vowed not to take any more busses on this trip and when we got to Saigon at 6 am I hunted down some great deals on plane tickets. We still had to take a bus to Phenom Phen, but from then on out it would be planes, trains and boats only for me!
Since our bus trip was so bad we didn't really sleep much so we had to spend most of the first day in Saigon recovering from the lack of sleep. Charity and I did go to the War Remnants museum. It was basically anti-American propaganda which is hard for me to pay and go see. There were some really disturbing images of casualties of Agent Orange. I wasn't aware that children all over Vietnam are still being born with birth defect because of Agent Orange. It's really terrible. As much as it was propaganda it was eye-opening at the same time.
That night we went to bed early because we had scheduled a tour the next morning for the Cu Chi Tunnels. At 7am we headed out with our private guide and driver to the tunnels. The tunnels were really interesting. Cu Chi is where the VC dug 250km of tunnels in three levels to hide from the American troops. During the day the Americans controlled the area and the VC hid underground, but during the night VC controlled everything. They would pop up out for the ground and kill soldiers. It must have been so scary being a solider there. It's like this dense jungle, it’s night time and then you're being shot out from the ground. I can't imagine what it would have been like.
So the tunnels were a lot of peoples' homes. There were children born down there even. We got to crawl (yes you have to crawl) through 100m of tunnels and that was more than enough for me. It was pitch black, super hot and tiny. I can't imagine living down there! We also go to see how VC made their weapons. They used American weapons against them. They would break down old American bombs and land mines and make new weapons. They used coke cans, sharpened bamboo in traps and pretty much anything else they found lying around. It was pretty amazing how inventive they were.
We had to rush back to Saigon to catch our bus (yeah I had to take another bus...). This bus was only 5 hours, so it wasn't too bad. I was just happy to cross the border into Cambodia.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0386s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb