The ATM Robbers


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam
March 3rd 2007
Published: March 3rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Scene of the Crimes: Hoi An and Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Counts of Robbery: 6
Total Amount Stolen: $1001 CDN
Convicted Criminals: 6 Vietnam ATM machines

Case Details:

While I was in Hoi An, I attempted to withdraw money from 2 different ATM machines. In both cases, the ATM's screen stated, "Unsuccessful transaction" and promptly spit out my New Zealand bank card. I did not receive a receipt or any money. Fortunately, I was successful at withdrawing money from a third bank machine.

While I was in Ho Chi Minh City, I spent 2 hours trying to withdraw money from various ATM machines. My nearly impossible mission began at a bank that housed 3 ATMs. I tried 4 times to withdraw money from these 3 ATMs. All four attempts resulted in “unsuccessful transaction” as displayed on the ATMs’ computer screens. It seemed that the bank machines did not like my NZ bank card because Heather was able to withdraw money with her Canadian bank card. Heather saw my ATM angst grow with each failed withdrawl.

I was nearly out of cash so I literally spent 1.5 hours walking to 3 other bank machines in Ho Chi Minh City. The first ATM would not accept my card. The second ATM suspiciously only let me withdraw $40 CDN. The third bank machine reported that I had reached my maximum daily limit. I was extremely flummoxed. How could I have reached my maximum daily limit when I had only withdrawn $40 in total?

Immediately, I sensed that something was amiss so I went on-line to check my bank account. To my astonishment, over $1000 CND had been debited in error from my account (including a whooping $60 in transaction fees!). Determined not to have a meltdown, I took a big breath, and carefully reviewed my bank statement. By comparing the addresses of the bank machines, I discovered that the culprits were the 6 ATMs that reported "unsuccessful transaction". Each time there was an “unsuccessful transaction”, my account had been erroneously debited even though I did not receive any money.

I called my bank and explained my dilemma. The bank lady kindly listened to me and then told me that this sort of thing had not happened on such a large scale. I was overjoyed to hear I was their first ATM grand theft victim (read sarcasm). The bank lady wasn’t able to offer any advice on how to prevent further withdrawls in error. Nor was she able to provide any reassurance that I’d get my money back. She told me to send an email restating my problem and that the bank would chase it up within 10 working days.

I felt dismal. The chances of getting my money back seemed bleak. I was thankful that at least Heather had witness witnessed 4 of the 6 botched transactions. I felt completely disgruntled. I could handle the odd cab driver or tour agent scamming me but I was no match for a scamming ATM machine. A thousand dollars vanished from my account and I did not have any substantial evidence to prove that I had not received any cash. It was the worst feeling to be in a foreign country with a “bank-account-devouring ATM card” and no access to cash. I was not able to call Allen because he was on a 20-hour flight to New York. Neither could I call my mom because it was 6 a.m. in Canada. Furthermore, I did not want to burden her with my problem. I called my dear friend Courtney in Sault Ste. Marie knowing that she would not mind having a 7 a.m. wake call to hear me lament. I felt much better after talking to her. I decided that all I could do was write the email to my bank and hope for the best.

The next morning I sprung out of bed to check my email. I was hoping that my bank would at least provide some reassurance that the matter would be urgently addressed or perhaps some advice on how to prevent further wrongful withdrawls. Instead I got the following email from my bank in New Zealand:

Thank you for your enquiries regarding overseas ATM withdrawals.

We have forwarded your correspondence to Card Services for investigation. Someone will contact you directly once they have looked into this matter for you.

We are also reminding our customers that if you are looking at purchasing a new home or topping up your existing mortgage, we have lending specialists you can talk to over the phone. To speak with a Lending Specialist please reply to this email with your contact details and a convenient time for them to call. (ASB Bank Limited home loan criteria and a fee of up to $500 apply. A low equity fee may apply. )

In addition to this, if there is anything else we can help you with, please contact us anytime on the email address or telephone number below.


I thought the third paragraph, “if you are looking at purchasing a new home”, to be particularly helpful in my dire situation. I could tell that the bank was greatly concerned about me, its client, and how I was in a foreign country, nearly broke and without a reliable or trustworthy means of withdrawing money from my bank account. Of course talking to a “leading specialist about buying a new home” would be a bigger priority for me over figuring out how to pay for breakfast! (Can you see the sarcasm dripping from this blog?).

If it wasn’t for my travel mates, I would be still be broke in Ho Chi Minh City. Somehow, I don’t think I would have earned much money by practicing as an English-speaking speech therapist in a mostly Vietnamese-speaking city. Heather was able to lend me enough money to get me through four more days of traveling in Vietnam. I wasn’t going to risk trying another ATM in Vietnam. Allen was willing to wire me some money however, we were going to be in some remote villages that didn’t have a Western Union. I also had $100 USD hidden in my back pack for emergency situations like this one. I think my predicament qualified as an emergency.

To my relief, I was able to reliably use my bank card in Cambodia. A week after the ATM robbery, I was still patiently waiting for “someone from the bank to contact me directly once they had looked into this matter” as stated in my bank’s email. That someone had not contacted me so I sent an email. I received an email back from the bank stating that the problem had been rectified and that my account had been credited. So much for some one contacting me directly. Nonetheless, it was a happy ending.

For future travels, I will carry two ATM cards from different banks, continue to have at least $100 USD cleverly hidden in my back pack in case of an emergency and always travel with a few friends with money!


Advertisement



29th March 2007

love it!!!
Hello gorgeous you are having a great time aren't you!!! what a stupid response form the bamk maybe you should send them your blog link and they can follow you!!! I love the updates and giggle each time especially the leatherman story so many items I have lost, you did well!!! were did the 'Silly' come from just a name tease or a story behind that which I missed?? see you soon love don't come back its winter now!!
30th March 2007

gotta luv the Court
Silly, You just got to love Courtney for always being there for you. She is a true friend. You sure are one adventurous soul. Have there been any times where you nearly pooped your pants from being in somewhat dangerous situations or meeting any weirdos?????
1st April 2007

Love the descriptions
Sue and I just discovered your blog and I have just spent the time to read them all from day 1. They're such a great addition to what Heather has on her's and really round out the experiences you have had together. You describe much more of what you've gone through than Heather, so it gives us a fuller picture of your travels. What you describe resonates with our experiences of SE Asia 3 decades ago - both the attempts to rip you off and the kindness people can show. Thanks for being such a great travelling partner to Heather and April. Heather decribes the tears she shed when leaving you in KL. Keep the blogs coming. Rich (the original one!)
2nd April 2007

Celia.. I was going to say you should have called that security guy at the Bangkok airport! Glad your bank resolved that! I'm all caught up on your blogs and await more! It's so neat to get to "be there" with you kind of sort of for bits of your adventures.. Hope you had a great special day yesterday! Lisa
17th April 2007

never a dull moment
Wow, never a dull moment in Vietnam! Hope the travelmates stay just as close and you have a safe time.

Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0413s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb