Off to Saigon / Ho Chi Minh City


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Southeast » Ho Chi Minh City
March 4th 2014
Published: March 8th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Not much to today.

Got up, had breakfast, packed our bags and checked out.

Realised later we must have left the little camera somewhere – that room had a lot of cupboards and drawers. Not worth asking hotel to post it on as postage probably cost more than camera is worth. May email Nha Trang and Hue hotels to see if they found it when we get back to Jane’s.

We hadn’t checked but had expected the airport to be a little inland, back from the sea. nstead we headed south following the coast. Spotted a few luxury style resorts and the road was all laid out with flowers down the centre, for miles, along the way. Drive was about 30 minutes and we were well in time for our flight.

Far too well as it turned out as our flight, and possibly other flights too, was delayed for almost 2 hours. We went to our gate then realised a long queue had formed at it and the flight details at the gate had changed. When that queue had boarded their plane we were allowed through and bussed it out to ours. No problem but it did mean that by the time we arrived in Saigon, after a 30 minute taxi ride, the afternoon had vanished.

Lovely room, after upgrade to Executive which means Jacuzzi bath, at the Eden Saigon. Well placed for everything touristy, in District 1.

Took a stroll to find dinner but probably didn’t choose the best direction. Found a restaurant which was very much Vietnamese and street food style. Only problem is that we really don’t know how to do street food so we were not at all sure what to order. Eventually had a plate of roast chicken pieces (from a scrawny chicken) and then a whole, enormous seabass. This came with rice paper wrappers (looks like polythene) and a plate of salad and veggies which the waitress instructed us were to make spring rolls with the fish.

The sticky rice which came with it was not nice, first time I’ve ever had rice I don’t like but it was in little pre-packed bags and compressed so very stuck together and impossible to eat with either chopsticks or fork. Will avoid rice like that in future but the fish and the rolls we made were good.

Tomorrow we explore Saigon which looks to be very exciting. The traffic is frenetic comprising 75% scooter, 20% taxi and 5% other – private cars, little trucks, push bikes.

Rarely see a scooter with only one person and more common to have three or four.

There are no rules for the scooter drivers – best way to get across the road is to select spot on the other side to head for then close your eyes and go for it.






Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.036s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0189s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb