Day 14, Cu Chi Tunnel & Mekong Delta Tour


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Southeast » Ho Chi Minh City
January 6th 2010
Published: January 6th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Day 14, Wednesday, Jan 6, 2010, Cu Chi Tunnel & Mekong Delta Tour...

We woke up around 6:30 am this morning, had breakfast at our hotel and then met with our guide and our driver at 8:00 am. We started by visiting a Vietnamese Handy Craft shop which was a government shop which employed people with disabilities to make various crafts. I purchased a few items here. I think I am buying too much stuff. Not sure where I am going to fit all this stuff in our luggage.

Anyway, after the Handy Craft shop, we went to the Cu Chi Tunnels. During the Vietnam war, the Viet Cong dug multi layer tunnels where they lived and fought Americans. It was very interesting how they built the tunnels and lived in them. There were meeting rooms, bedrooms, even a hospital underground where they lived. This tunnel was within missle distance from Saigon so they could attack American forces in Saigon.

After the Cu Chi tunnels, we went to the Mekong Delta where we had lunch and took a boat tour where visited a coconut candy factory, rode a dunkey cart and walked through a local village. In the village we had tea and tropical fruit, and watched locals sing folk or traditional music.

It was a very long day for us. We did not get back to our hotel around 6 pm. We took a quick shower, then when to have a couple drinks on the top of the building of our hotel which overlooks the Saigon river. It was a pleasant way to relax. We then went to the night market where I had some Vietnamese food - grilled pork, banh xeo and tiger beer while Ken had just a sprite.

We will leave Vietnam tomorrow. We will need to get up early in morning and to catch our 9:00 am flight to Bangkok, then to Koh Samui (an island in the Gulf of Thailand), then catch a ferry to Koh Phangang Island. This island is famous for their full moon party although there will not be a full-moon party while we are there. We will be there for a few days to relax, do some snorkeling and visit a nearby island called Koh Tao (Turtle Island).

Again, it will be a long day traveling tomorrow...

Somehow the Travel Blog site won't let me upload the pictures. I will try to upload them tomorrow morning.

Steven

Advertisement



16th April 2010

Guide
Hi, Was wondering who you used to take the tour? How much did they charge for the day? Thanks! PJ

Tot: 0.034s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 8; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0189s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb