Let's all go to the zoo


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Southeast » Ho Chi Minh City
July 5th 2009
Published: July 5th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Decided to go to the zoo yesterday. The day started quite sunny but as the afternoon drew in the clouds started to form and it was clear rain was not far away. So, the visit was broken up by spells of hiding under shelters to avoid the down pour.

The zoo itself was very good, but very easy to get lost in. All the usual suspects were there: lions, tigers, monkeys etc. The surroundings were beautiful though so well worth a laid back stroll around.

The thing that surprised me was the lack of bikes. The people of Ho Chi Minh City do everything on bike. When I went to the Reunification Palace in April, people were queuing with their bikes. At Notre Dame Cathedral, if you cannot get a seat inside for the service it does not matter you just sit outside on your bike. Were it not for stairs I think they would take them everywhere. Nearly all restaurants and cafes come with a bike attendant. It is easy to see from the traffic why this is the preferred mode of transport. You are able to zip around the traffic with ease. To the newcomer it may seem like chaos, but the experienced locals know exactly what they are doing. I have avoided driving a bike myself (long may that continue), but feel very safe as a passenger. If my next entry is about Vietnamese Hospitals though, chances are it has something to do with a bike.

I had an interesting experience yesterday. I made somebody walk somewhere, a concept that is alien to them (you mean I do not take my bike?). So used are they to driving everywhere that if you ask somebody to show you the way on foot, they are completely lost. As a pedestrian I now feel I know the area in district 1 better than most of the locals. On a bike though, they would clearly lead the way.




Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



5th July 2009

Keep It Going Daz
Great blog DC. You are making the most of your time in Ho Che Min and surroundings by the sound of your blog. It is excellant reading, keep it going. It is sunny again here and we are about to enjoy chicken on the bbq for dinner. Enjoy yourself when you can. Take care Cx
6th July 2009

the zoo
Hi mate read about the zoo tried to print off a copy no luck, all the others printed ok but it looks like i need your permission to do this (copyright)

Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 47; dbt: 0.042s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb