Ho Chi Minh city


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Southeast » Ho Chi Minh City
November 29th 2008
Published: December 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Well this is nothing to write home about.
This is a very uninteresting place, a couple of temples and lots of pollution, busy busy busy! Just like home only more people on scooters. This will only be a short one because we can't find much worth writing home about and we will be coming back here after Cambodia and wait for a couple of days to fly out.
While here we did find the best place for eating is at the markets of a night time the stalls get set up at about 5 each night and there is a madness to it all once cooking begins some stalls have queues to get into them and you know they are by far the best, the atmosphere is so good you have to do it! The Vietnamese still have no idea on how to serve the food you order! if you order everything at the same time it will be delivered according to Confucius' law of probability (what the cook can lay their hands on first, is it still alive and needs killing, who is in the way of the food at the time or is she in the mood for cooking tonight) Once the food arrives it is good so there is no problem with the taste. Wandering around town is like walking around a huge department store ( there are some big un's of them here too) Always good if you need the loo in a hurry! The street vendors charge according to location rather than looks, with location to the REX hotel and the business district paying more for food then in the backpackers area. Nothing new there! We did take the Cu Chi Tunnels tour and Lynne was able to full fill her life long dream of playing an FBI agent and shoot a Colt 45 pistol. I liked it best when she dressed in a garter and suspenders to shoot the AK47 Russian semi automatic rifle. Videos of some events will be privately available soon to our friends...stay tuned folks!(and never let the truth get in the way of a good story!). Time to do a little Xmas shopping and post off to our nearest and dearest, back to the markets. I don't mind wondering around this place the stall grow arms and grab you with a shout " you want t-shirt" what you looking for sir...madam!" for which we reply "the meaning of life dear!" almost expecting any one of the 100 people to run off and say " one moment please ....i have over here....how much you pay me please". We spent a lot of time just wondering the streets looking at the traffic and at 5pm each day there is one particular intersection which the locals should sell tickets to. Every change of lights about 1000 bike and an assorted amount of cars and UFT's pass (Unidentified fast traffic). Cars are such a hindrance and when a bus hits the middle all stops and a lot of tooting occurs until it moves on. A walk in the park of a night time is a must ( Use caution) one night we stumbled upon what looked like an aerobics class and we sat to watch to our surprise it was just 20 people shakin their booty to a hip hop song. You had to be there!
We are mainly here to get our visa's for China. We applied on Monday the 1st only to be told we need to get a physical before they grant the Z visa. We are in a foreign country, where
Did you say fish!Did you say fish!Did you say fish!

I don't want fish, where's me bloody steak!
do we go? The embassy just go to local hospital...off we go....local hospital does not have the papers...ok... we stop in at a private foreigner medical centre....they have the papers but no time to do the physical....Hhhhmmmmm? We return to the embassy to see if we can get some advise and the embassy shows us a form from a previous applicant. Lynne grabs the address of the place and off we go...sorry sir we don't do this thing....Huh! yes you do we just saw one from here? Ok...one minute please i ask............ok we can do today... for you hurray!!!!! please fill in the form....! so back to the embassy tomorrow once the test results have arrived at 9am. The guard at the gate doesn't even check out our passports anymore he knows us. Application accepted on Tuesday now we wait until Friday to see if they are approved........Friday - Approval!!!!!!Yes we can get out of here now and go somewhere interesting.....Off to Cambodia and Angkor Wat!


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

I can fit!I can fit!
I can fit!

This is a sniper hole. A little more than 1m deep, 0.5m square. totally hidden from view when the cover is on.
What do you mean..What do you mean..
What do you mean..

you won't pull me out if i get stuck!
Hot, small, and tight!Hot, small, and tight!
Hot, small, and tight!

The tunnel! Da!
Wait a second!Wait a second!
Wait a second!

The VC walked through these tunnels during the resistance fight!
Time to chill.Time to chill.
Time to chill.

We struck a hard pace!
A fav coffee corner.A fav coffee corner.
A fav coffee corner.

Viet coffee is best served at one of these street vendors. The ice is made from filtered water at a factory and delivered all times of the day.


Tot: 0.393s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 21; qc: 92; dbt: 0.2668s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb