Saigon, Mekong Delta & Phu Quoc Island


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Southeast » Ho Chi Minh City
November 27th 2008
Published: November 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

More Motorbike MadnessMore Motorbike MadnessMore Motorbike Madness

An example of the chaotic streets of Ho Chi Minh (Saigon)
We arrived in Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) after leaving rainy Nah Trang by night bus. The weather in Saigon was an improvement and we set off for the afternoon to explore the city. Saigon's streets were even busier than other cities we have visited in Vietnam and crossing the roads was dangerous business. We visited the War Remnants museum which was like no other museum we have been to before and was both shocking and moving. After looking at the horrific photographs of the war and also more recent photographs of the effects of the toxins used by the Americans that still effects the Vietnamese people today, we left with more respect for the Vietnamese who are such friendly people moving on from the horrors of their past.

Our second day in Saigon we spent on a trip to the Mekong delta where we spent the day cruising the river on a boat and visiting floating markets and villages where we watched the locals make rice paper and sampled various different sweets, candy and treats made out of coconut.

After two days in the city we headed to Phu Quoc Island, south of Vietnam, by plane. Phu Quoc
Cruising the MekongCruising the MekongCruising the Mekong

James trying to blend in with the locals in a traditional vietnamese hat
was absolutely beautiful, the Island has not yet been spoilt by tourism so we really felt we had found a secret paradise, although, with plans for more hotels and an international airport, this will soon be a different story. Our week here was like a holiday away from our holiday and we spent most of our time relaxing on the beautiful beach soaking up the sun. We went on a brilliant boat trip where we snorkelled in some beautiful clear waters, stoped at deserted white sandy beaches and even did a bit of fishing. Just when we thought we couldnt experience anything worse than the cockroach in our room in Hue, we discovered a mouse living in our room that seemed to have taken a liking to living under Hayley's backpack (which was covered in mouse droppings). Luckily we only discovered him on our last night so only had one sleepless night listening to it scurry around the room! Our last evening on the Island we watched one of the best sunsets we have seen our entire trip. Then it was goodbye to paradise and back to Saigon for one more night, before leaving the country for Singapore and our next adventure!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Room with a View (and a mouse!)Room with a View (and a mouse!)
Room with a View (and a mouse!)

The view from our porch
What a Catch! (and the fish too!)What a Catch! (and the fish too!)
What a Catch! (and the fish too!)

Hayley was proud of her catch, although it was very small, but then felt guilty about catching it!
ParadiseParadise
Paradise

A beautiful deserted beach we swam to from the boat
Sunset over Long BeachSunset over Long Beach
Sunset over Long Beach

Another beautiful sunset
AhoyAhoy
Ahoy

Us snorkelling around the coral


27th November 2008

Miss you
Hi there, You guys seem to be having a fantastic adventure. Enjoy it while you are young and free and think of me with a crying, teething baby !!! Miss you on Tuesday Hayley - Nicolette, Emily, Louise and I went for dinner and spoke of the good ol days and of course, you. Enjoy it. Alison

Tot: 0.037s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0198s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb