Going...going...still going...


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Southeast » Ho Chi Minh City
November 20th 2008
Published: November 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Our favourite phoOur favourite phoOur favourite pho

A bowl of our favourite pho at Pho 63 on Dong Da street in Da Nang. This bowl of Tai Nam (a combination of roast and rare beef) includes flat, white noodles, chopped green onions and secrets herbs and spices in a simple broth. Marc has added lots of fresh basil and a spoonful of hot sauce, as per usual.
We thought it might be hard to leave Vietnam after living here for 10 months, but this is getting a little ridiculous...

It’s been almost six weeks since we finished teaching, but a pair of unfortunate incidents finds us stuck in Saigon and in need of a new travel plan.

First, our computer broke down the day after we finished our contracts. We knew from previous experience with our Mac, it would be impossible to get fixed in Da Nang. We had to take it to Saigon. Within the week, we sold our motorbike, handed over our apartment and shipped home two boxes full of our belongings. We said goodbye to all the people and places we’d come to know after seven months in Da Nang and caught a plane to Saigon - the city where it all started.

Our plan was to get the computer fixed while we caught up with friends and be on our way to Cambodia within the week.

Well, it took three weeks to get the computer fixed. There was a problem with the main board and it needed to be replaced. Apple had to send three main boards from Singapore because
TrafficTrafficTraffic

Night traffic on the Han Son Bridge in Da Nang.
the first two were damaged on arrival. Fortunately, Apple completely covered the cost of the $1200 repair even though we were past warranty.

While waiting for the computer's resurrection, we spent the first two weeks bumming around Saigon, Vung Tau and Mui Ne with friends - enjoying lots of laughs, the first three seasons of Weeds on DVD, flats of Tiger, idiotic casino outings, big Western meals, midnight swims and sleeping in everyday.

And then we spent the next 2 weeks dealing with a case of dengue fever, which I apparently contracted in Vung Tau. The fever, aches and rash ran its course, but the repercussions of the week-long illness landed me in the hospital for five days. In total, I was out of commission for about two weeks, but I'm almost 100 per cent now and we plan to be on a bus to Cambodia by November 24.

Somewhat stuck in Saigon but just happy to be dengue-free, we're trying to squeeze in as many fun and interesting activities as possible, like massages, pedicures, night market shopping, a water puppet show, a theme park, a trip to an orphanage, sushi splurges, lazy pool days, etc.
Da Nang by duskDa Nang by duskDa Nang by dusk

As seen from the peninsula.

We've included a variety of photos from our last month or so in Da Nang, our time here in Saigon and everything in between.

Enjoy
The Smiths






Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Sunrise stretchSunrise stretch
Sunrise stretch

On the beach in Da Nang.
WarriorWarrior
Warrior

A man exercises during sunrise on the beach in Da Nang.
Ha CafeHa Cafe
Ha Cafe

Ms. Ha, the owner of the Ha Cafe, the best street coffee joint in Da Nang, which was conveniently situated directly next to our school.
DragonDragon
Dragon

A street dancer dons a dragon costume in the street outside of our house in Da Nang as part of the mid-Autumn festival celebrations.
Marc's caddyMarc's caddy
Marc's caddy

For our two-year wedding anniversary, Marc and I spent two days in Hoi An, where I got a winter coat tailor-made and Marc went golfing for the first time in Vietnam at Montgomery Links.
Sew what?Sew what?
Sew what?

Marc sewed sleeping sheets and yoga mat bags for our travels.
Free lunchFree lunch
Free lunch

Our landlords offered to make lunch for us before we left. We were surprised, but still very grateful, to learn that making lunch did not involve us all eating together. The mother of the house actually made lunch and the housekeeper brought it up to our suite for us to eat alone.
HuyHuy
Huy

Marc's favourite student.
Last class celebrationsLast class celebrations
Last class celebrations

My adult students took me for dinner.
Stacey and AnnabelStacey and Annabel
Stacey and Annabel

Lounging pool side in Long Hai, about 30 minutes from Vung Tao.
BlondieBlondie
Blondie

Proof I can NEVER go blonde.
Jump!Jump!
Jump!

Mike, Nicole and me at the white sand dunes in Mui Ne.
Pretty in pinkPretty in pink
Pretty in pink

Sporting the latest in Vietnamese hospital fashion. Note the deep red colour of my dengue feet.
ToesToes
Toes

This pedicure, including the artwork, cost just over $1.
ShoesShoes
Shoes

At the Ben Thanh night market in Saigon.
Night marketNight market
Night market

In Saigon.
On the mendOn the mend
On the mend

Dengue free and enjoying surprisingly large beers in Saigon.
Hungry babyHungry baby
Hungry baby

We went to one of the ILA sponsored orphanages where we fed and played with the children, who ranged from infants up for adoption to much older children with severe physical and/or mental disabilities.
Friendly football matchFriendly football match
Friendly football match

Marc joined Mike at the weekly football practice with the boys from the Green Bamboo Shelter, another orphanage sponsored by ILA.
Big shoes to fillBig shoes to fill
Big shoes to fill

One of the kids goofs around in Marc's running shoes.


20th November 2008

Great pics!
Hi guys! Krysta - I'm so glad you are feeling better - crazy stuff! Aside from the illness and the technical problems, it seems like you are having a good time: the pedicure - nice and cheap, the blond hair - not bad :), golf, the beach and of course the friends, the drinks and the food... Enjoy every minute!! We look forward to seeing you soon! Big hugs.
20th November 2008

I'm glad to hear that you are feeling better! Enjoy the rest of your time, and I will hopefully see you soon'ish in the new year! Chelsea
20th November 2008

What the hell is a flat of beer?
Is a flat a case? Personally, I was hoping there would be some dengue red leg pics, however am delighted that Krysta found the stamina for another smoothly crafted blog post. Having a ball in Sydney. Hope you are both well. Love me and John XXXX
21st November 2008

Hi guys! I'm so glad you are feeling better, Krysta! We want you to come back healthy and happy :) I love the photos and those kids are soooo cute! Enjoy the rest of your time and we'll see you real soon. Miss you lots! Mary
24th November 2008

Hello
Hello I just want to say Hi and I see you guys are having a great time keep enjoying this amazing experince. all the best

Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0321s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb