Saigon...the rainy mistress!


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Southeast » Ho Chi Minh City
August 18th 2008
Published: August 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Time to buy an umbrella


We spent just over two days here and it rained for about 75%!o(MISSING)f the time. The sky would just open up and let everyone have it! Flooded streets everywhere and horrible smells wafting through the air. We still enjoyed our time here in Saigon. We visited the war museum (previously called "Museum of Chinese and American War Crimes"), Reunification Palace and the legendary market (crowded, pushy and way overpriced). For instance we were searching for a tshirt for me (Dan) and were quoted the initial price (250,000VND) which was about a 900%!m(MISSING)ark up designed to see how well you are at bargaining! We got the shirt for 30,000VND which is still a bit more than average but felt good haggling.
It gets a little tiresome having to deal with all the bullshit here, regarding people not wanting to give you accurate information, but it gets easier as you learn the subtle Vietnamese sarcasm!
We enjoyed a great Indian dinner here (yummy), had some cheap draft beer (about 30 cents a glass) while enjoying a Nigerian fist-o-cuffs in the streets!
We met up with some friends that we have met along the way for a couple of beers. It is nice to exchange stories and vent a bit with other people (it gets a little monotonous sometimes just the two of us). We are now off to Cambodia tommorrow morning at 6AM to see the killing fields, museums of Phnom Penh and then off to Siem Reap and Angkor Wat.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

war remnants museumwar remnants museum
war remnants museum

After the lengthy documentary on the lasting impact of Agent Orange, even Dan could not force a smile in front of the helicopter.
Reunification PalaceReunification Palace
Reunification Palace

Eerie - many of the rooms are much the same as they were in April 1975 when the North took power from the South (maps in the basement were really cool).


Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 8; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0328s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb