What to expect?


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Phnom Penh
August 25th 2008
Published: August 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Where are we?


So, here we were about to depart Saigon and all I (Dan) could think is....what is Cambodia going to be like?
To be honest.....It's great. The people are very friendly, the Khmer food has been excellent and the weather was better. It was a bit of a weird border crossing as we had to pay a bribe of 1$, as we both were not in possesion of our International Travellers Vacination certificate. This was a bit of a farce, so they make you pay the money to the guy, who inevitably pockets it. Oh well!
Bus trip was interesting, especially when we were waiting for the ferry. The vans are so overcrowded (at least 35 people to a van wherever they can sit, including the roof rack and hood. The vendors were also selling fried spiders, worms and crickets......yummy!
Then to Phonm Penh and our guest house, the Top Banana. It was a great place to stay and we met alot of interesting people in the common area. It was nice to have such a chill place to relax.
So, what did we do....saw the independance monument, walked down by the riverside, S21 museum (Pol Pot) and the killing fields. It was a mixed emotions day as we were sad and curious at the same time. The museum made us both a bit weary and we had a hard time talking candidly for a while after seeing the atrocities on display from the Khmer Rouge regime.
The city was far more modern than I had envisioned. There were bif SUV's everywhere (from the NGO"s), obedient traffic laws and brand new stores everywhere. The place looked a lot more modern than some of Vietnam tourists stops.
See our pics....just a tidbit of what we saw!


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0232s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb