Hanoi


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Southeast » Ho Chi Minh City
February 5th 2008
Published: February 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

HanoiHanoiHanoi

Old lady about to cross street using accepted method of walking very slowly and relying on scooter owners spotting you and taking avoiding action.
Vietnam was next on our itinerary after China, and Hanoi the first stop, or Ho Chi Minh city as its now known. We stayed in the old quarter, which is a small densely populated area of narrow streets, on which the majority of the population seem to spend most of their time. From babies to grandparents, they are sitting outside talking, eating, cooking, wshing, playing, selling etc. We were constantly amazed to see very young children playing just feet from the road, seemingly with enough sense not to run out on the road.

If you are there go and see the water puppets. This is a form of puppetry that originated in a countryside which was often flooded. The puppets move on, under and above the water. sometimes with fireworks. Its very visually interestng and as far as I know will not be seen in any other country.















Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

HanoiHanoi
Hanoi

Lake in centre of Hanoi.
HanoiHanoi
Hanoi

Brendan finally starting to read the guide books we lugged half way around the world.
HanoiHanoi
Hanoi

Brendan missing opportunity to have some fresh fruit.
HanoiHanoi
Hanoi

Walking on street as footpaths are mainly used to park scooters.
HanoiHanoi
Hanoi

Brendan outside some typical Hanoi "Row: houses. They are narrow as previously people were taxed on the basis of the width of their house frontage.
HanoiHanoi
Hanoi

Linda in Hapros cafe, a little oasis of quiet and calm, catching up on local Vietnamese news.


Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0288s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb