Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Southeast » Ho Chi Minh City
November 19th 2007
Published: December 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The 30 minute Tuk Tuk ride to the airport for my flight was eventful as I almost witnessed a pile up after a lorry had to swerve to avoid a goat eating something 3 lanes into the motorway.
Fortunately, I arrived at the airport unscathed and more importantly, on time for my flight.
After a short flight to Ho Chi Minh, I ventured outside the airport where I was to meet a travel rep who would escort me to my hotel. He wasn't there.
I managed to organise a taxi with very enthusiastic vietnamese chap, and with his broken english, and my extensive non-existent vietnamese vocabulary, I managed to get myself absolutely ripped off for my troubles.
Although the taxi only cost me around £15 for a 40 minute ride into Ho Chi Minh centre, it was still far too expensive, especially since I was meant to be picked up anyway.
After arriving at my hotel and getting myself organised, the travel rep arrived with my train tickets and explained that he was at the airport waiting. I didn't bother trying to argue, I just wanted to go for a walk around the city.
After leaving the hotel, I decided to go for a walk around the central market, called Ben Tanh. The atmosphere in the market was buzzing, the best one I'd been to so far in Asia and I suddenly found myself arguing with an old lady over how much I was willing to pay for half a dozen pairs of socks. Again, my inexperience led to me being ripped off by around 30p but I enjoyed myself and was soon haggling again with another lady, this time over the price of mangoes.
Shortly after this I got talking to and old man, named Ben, in the street as I sat down for a drink. General chit chat occurred and he told me he was on holiday with his family from Malaysia and was renting an apartment outside the city centre as staying in a hotel was too expensive. After enquiring where I was from he went onto explain that his daughter was going to Glasgow University next year to study computer engineering.
He then asked if he could invite me for dinner with his family to talk with his wife and reassure her that it was safe for her daughter in Glasgow. So, me being the happy-go-lucky muppet that I was, accepted. We finished our drinks at the table and hopped in a taxi and went to this old boy's house.
On arrival, I was greeted by his sister and his "brother-in law" who was called William. I was then told by Ben that his wife was still at the hospital visting her sick mother, something he'd explained previously so I thought nothing of it. William, the brother in-law then began talking to me, asking me where I was from and so on. Then he asked me if I knew how to play blackjack, I said yes and he aked if I would like to know how to win. I had no interest whatsoever but decided to humour him to be polite as they seemed keen enough to play cards and I didn't want to be rude after being invited for dinner, so I followed them into a room with a bed and a small card table in it.
After 5 minutes or so of playing blackjack and being told things that went in one ear and out the other about the dynamics of the game, something was said about one of their friends, an old man who liked to come and play cards. Something was then said about "a bit of fun" and "not to worry" then this old man appeared.
William took $200 out of his pocket and handed it to me saying I could play with it but it was only for fun. I began to feel uneasy about this but didn't want to seem rude so I just sat where I was.
The cards were dealt and the chips were dished out and their value stated by the dealer - William. I told them I didn't like it but they said not to worry, it was only for fun so I carried on. During this time the old man seemed oblivious to what I was saying.
15 minutes later there stupid amounts of chips on the table, which were just hypothetical, or so I thought. When there was around $110000 on the table, the old man, said he wouldn't go any further unless I could prove I had the money to carry on or pay up should I lose, at this point I realised what was going on and almost deposited my bowels into the seat where I was sat. He then opened up his little leather bag he had with him and took out 6 rolls of money which were supposed to be $10000 each. Although the money was most probably fake, it still had my alarm bells ringing. It was after this old man started questioning me about credit cards and travellers cheques that I noticed there were white scars on the back of his right hand in the shape of oriental writing. I managed to talk my way out of it a little telling them I had no money on me and that I couldn't find anything near that sort of money.
The old man then left after they got me to sign a bit of paper, as did he, to agree to complete the card game when I came back with money. At this point I couldn't wait to get out of this place and told Ben and William that I was not happy with the situation they'd gotten me into lthough they just kept saying not to worry and that I would win because they knew what cards the other guy had.
I went to leave the card room and saw William nod as I got up and he asked me where I was going, I told him a wanted to sit in the front room and he agreed. I looked at the front door and noticed that a padlock had been put through the lock but not pushed shut. I waited until they sat down then got up quickly, walked to the door and took the padlock out and opened the door. Both Ben and William, got up and tried to stop me but I just took off down the street towards the main road which led back to the centre. I looked back to see Ben trying to chase me but he could hardly break into a jog.
As soon as I reached the road, I found no shortage of eager scooter drivers willing to take me anywhere i wanted for a dollar, so I hopped onto the back of the nearest one and told hm to take me to the market.
I made my way back to my hotel where I kept myself holed up in my room for the next few hours and thought about what had happened.
After I realised I had a lucky escape, I ventured out, to the nearest bar which went by the name Wild West. There was a cover version band playing which played anything from Pussy Cat Dolls to Metallica. So I listened to them and got drunk!!!!!!
Welcome to Vietnam.

Advertisement



8th December 2007

A wild and crazy place -
that Ho Chi Minh City is, I'll keep an eye out for Ben and William on my next vist. Good story - http://vietnam-now.com
11th December 2007

Do they sell Chomps in Ho Chi Minh?

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0385s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb