1. Arriving in Vietnam


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Southeast » Ho Chi Minh City
March 25th 2007
Published: March 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

1st Entry...
Well we arrived at Saigon airport an hour later than planned due to the plane “not having all of the things that it needed to fly yet (from Sydney)”???. After collecting our baggage we steeled ourselves for the Saigon taxi-drivers onslaught only to be pleasantly surprised to find a counter from which one could purchase $US5 taxi vouchers to the city. We no sooner bought the voucher and we were being ushered, from an orderly queue, buy a uniformed lady into a taxi for our very busy 7km trip to the hotel area. We had a little problem reminding the taxi driver, he no English and we with even less Vietnamese, that “no, we won’t be giving you extra money for the trip”…I guess that he had to try. The 2 young professional pick-pockets disguised as hotel touts, neither of which we needed, retreated without a profit but only after one had tried to pull something out of my shoulder bag (I gave him my angry look gggrrr). We found our hotel after some interesting back lane maneuvering, booked into our little guest house (so clean its unbelievable) and ventured out for a late night coffee and pancake.
Fresh coconut milkFresh coconut milkFresh coconut milk

Yum. Yes please.
Aaahhh!!! finally back in Asia at last, Other than a few nights in Singapore in 2003 and 2004 it has been 8 years, this is at least 7 years too long. Strange…I feel so much at home in Asia that if one believed in past lives then I would be certain that I had done at least a round or ten in Asia…it’s hard to explain. Back to the hotel for a bit of time-zoned-out shut eye (now let me see, 12 midnight is 4am Sydney, which is 11pm Brisbane, which is…oh who cares we are tired) in preparation for our first day in Vietnam…so exciting!!!

hey, next day, aly here, really settling in now. Great guest house location, thanks Darcie. Its so nice to not be right on the that main travellers street that's a bit of a hub for all things from home but not from here! War Remnants museum is a must for all visitors - very moving, some fantastic photos from the 60s. Hard to make sense of it all, what on earth were the US (and the rest of us) doing here. A very powerful and recent reality in Saigon.
Off to Ben Than markets, what fun, so busy and noisy with fantastic food smells wafting through the air. We bought a small electric kettle and a simple coffee maker so that we can do our teas and coffees whenever we like. we're really enjoying the Vietnamese coffee - quite distinct and different to the African and SthAmerican blends usually drunk in Australia. Huge success finding yummy Vietnamese vegetarian food since we've arrived.

Advertisement



2nd April 2007

you lucky buggers
Well done, you two! For some reason, when I logged on, the link took me first to your last entry, and so I've just read your journey backwards. What a hoot of a time you're having! Keep it up! Yeen and I'll be back in circulation in Bris on last w'end in April after a well-earned break down south, which will include my attendance at court in Melb for 2nd hearing of truck fire case - I can't wait to ask the tough questions of those truckies who'll be under oath! Continue to have a ball, and well done with the blog! love Wilf
3rd April 2007

Order of entries
Hi Wilf....Glad to have you following our journey. Aly and I read Jessi's site every day when she was away. We are aware that the entries from us are listed from bottom to top which most people would naturally see as the reverse order. We already thought of perhaps putting in an entry number for each blogg to make it clearer. Type soon, love Trev and Aly.
8th April 2007

Hi Wilf
'Hi Wilf, good luck with court outcomes. I'm glad to hear that you and Yeen'll be back in circulation, because I took over 70 photos on the day we went out to Angkor Wat and if you're any friend of mine you'll sit through every one of them without groan or grimace! Sees ya soon! Lots of love Aly

Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0552s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb