Mrs Saigon


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Southeast » Ho Chi Minh City
November 6th 2006
Published: November 6th 2006
Edit Blog Post

In the jungle In the jungle In the jungle

with one of the US tanks from the war
We've arrived in Ho Chi Minh City, what used to be called Saigon, on the last part of our vietnamese tour.

First thing you notice is the change in climate down here (we're about a thousand miles south of Hanoi where we started). It feels very hot and humid compared to the North but still a nice temperature for us holiday makers!

This city is much more western than the rest of Vietnam - the buildings and the roads are more developed, and there are a lot more cars, causing the first traffic jams we've seen since we arrived in the country. The city centre is full of big western hotels with more modern restaurants (we saw a KFC, a sure sign of westernisation!) Staying in a fantastic hotel with excellent pool. Great to jump into after a hard day's sightseeing.

Went on a tour of the city, but there doesn't seem to be as much of note to see here, as some of the other places. The older architecture and places were of more interest to us. The notre dame church here isn't quite like the one in Paris.

What has been really interesting was a visit to Cu Chi, the network of underground tunnels used by the Viet Cong during the war. Have learnt a lot about the war and seen many of the sights - is interesting to see it from the Vietnamese perspective. Went down into one of the tunnels, which although these have been made bigger for tourists to experience, were still very claustrophobic, dark and hot. Spent this afternoon at the war museum in the city, home to a load of US tanks and planes.

Both feeling the effects of constant touring a little now, although the country has been fascinating and would happily stay longer. Flying across to Cambodia tomorrow, so will talk to you from there (if possible!)

Hope you are all well, love C & J


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

fancy a banana?fancy a banana?
fancy a banana?

no shortage here!
climbing out the tunnel at Cu Chiclimbing out the tunnel at Cu Chi
climbing out the tunnel at Cu Chi

fortunately this hole has been made much larger than the original - so chris can fit!


6th November 2006

Glad you are having fun
Hi guys Sounds like you are having a whale of a time, and I'm so pleased you added me to your list so I can see what you've been up to. I tried to call before you left, thinking you were leaving a little later in November, but you'd probably already gone. It's great that you get so many photos of the 2 of you together. I guess that's an advantage of being in a friendly place. Anyway, enjoy the rest of the trip and I'll hopefully speak to you after you are settled back home and over your jetlag. I presume Douglas is on holiday with his granddad. Love Steph
7th November 2006

holiday
thanks for all your news - you are certainly enjoying yourselves. all well here. love mum and nick
7th November 2006

Great Blog
Have enjoyed reading your adventures. Looking forward to the next instalment. Love and take care.
8th November 2006

banananananas
Dear mum and dad. if you don't bring me one of them lovely bananananananas i am going to drag my arse along the carpet after doing a big mr whippy. I can't wait to see you again as i am sick of shagging simon's leg, Bree getting jealous! PS seen any great cats?
9th November 2006

banananananas
Hey, I know that's you Mr H! Leave the greyhound out of this (and don't be rude - our parents are reading this!) Jak says our Doug is a very clean and well behaved boy and wouldn't dream of acting like that..........and he doesn't even like bananas!

Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0545s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb