Saigon


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Southeast » Ho Chi Minh City » District 1
July 20th 2016
Published: July 20th 2016
Edit Blog Post

A lazier day today. Walked down to my favourite cafe round the corner from the hotel and found the pavement blackened, fire engines and cops everywhere, asked if there had been a fire but no, they were filming a scene for a local movie. Sadly they already had a star and didnt need another but fun to watch. Then walked to the War Remnants museum. What a powerful display that is. It should be compulsory viewing for all Americans. I'm probably already coming across as rabidly anti-American but when you look at the thousands of tons of chemical and biological weapons they dropped here, defoliants, dioxins and gases, not to mention the massacres of women and children and the beheading of villagers in a country they had no place being at all, in direct contravention of the 'rules of war', you know that no amount of reparations will make up for it. A great many individuals and countries thankfully stood up against it all but it didn't stop them. But enough of that. After the museum I wandered down to Notre Dame cathedral, modelled after its French counterpart but it was sadly closed. Wandered about the city centre taking in the sights and architecture of the place, probably covered 15km them went back to Bui Vien in the evening for dinner and a bit more people watching. A fun day all in all.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0464s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb