Good Morning VIETNAM!!!


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Southeast » Ho Chi Minh City » District 1
December 16th 2011
Published: December 16th 2011
Edit Blog Post

So we have just 'survived' our first day in Vietnam and WOW what an experience. We landed at about 9pm and whizzed through customs (customs...what customs???) where we were greeted by extreme humidity and a little man holding a sign, Katila Taylor. We jumped into his car where we meandered through the crazy traffic and streets. Our driver seemed to be quite polite as he honked his horn when he was turning AND his indicator. All you could hear was a continue hum of honking horns. We were driven down some pretty sketchy streets but finally made our way to the little alley where our hotel is situated. As soon as we exited the car Katie was asked if she was the taxi driver's wife..GREAT greeting. Our hotel staff are AMAZING and the rooms are immaculate.

Today we have ventured to the Reunification Palace which was once the symbol of the South Vietnamese government where thousands of Vietnamese and Americans died trying to save it. In the process we learned a lot about Vietnamese road rules; if my vehicle is bigger than yours I have right of way, but if you are a pedestrian you just have to cross the road and pray to God the millions of bikes swerve around you. During the day we managed to significantly improve our skills crossing the road and it isn't as frightening.

Then we ventured to the Ben Thanh markets - a crazy place packed full of fake goods, smelly food and the constant yell of "Miss Miss what you look for?" coming from the stalls. There was barely room to breathe and the stalls were packed so tight you could barely walk between them. We learnt our lesson never to enter anyone's shop or else they create a physical barrier to block a quick exit. However, we did pick up some bargains and improved our bartering skills.

After a quick pit stop at a cafe for a drink we headed to the Notre Dame Cathedral and General Post Office with a lot of other tourists so weren't finally acting like a deer in the head lights. It was also the first place with a lot of western stores and the Vietnamese versions of Strabucks.

We have just returned from a lovely dinner - not so much for Katie who learned that chillies are hotter than normal here - topped off with a coffee with condensed milk! Yum!

Tomorrow we are off on a day trip to the Mekong Delta which should be very different to today.

Night all xo

Advertisement



16th December 2011

Great to hear what you have been up to, sounds like you are having loads of fun. I can relate to the chilli experience Katie. Are you able to put photos up? Have a wonderful day exploring the Mekong Delta.
17th December 2011

All I can say Katie is WOW! How many days to go? You'll certainly need some R & R when you get home.
20th December 2011

Christmas Greetings
Hi Rach, Mum has just given me your blog. Hope you have a great time and a we wish you both a happy and safe Christmas. ENJOY!!! Cheers Judy

Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0431s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb