Saigon (Ho Chi Minh City)


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Southeast » Ho Chi Minh City » District 1
July 29th 2010
Published: August 7th 2010
Edit Blog Post

After an uneventful bus journey we checked into a hotel in district 1 and headed out to explore the city. We both hopped onto some motorbike taxis and headed through saigons crazy traffic to visit our 1st sight - the war museum.... very graphic and sad to see yet it has to be seen!!! After more wandering around the city we went for something to eat and then in search of a bar with a pool table. After many games and a few too many cheap beers, we went back for a good night sleep in preparation for the next days events. The following day we went to visit the reunification palace.... the south vietnamese presidents home until north vietnamese tanks crashed through the gates, resulting in the surrender of the south to the north and hence the end of the war. After visiting the palace we then went to purchase our tickets for our day trip the next day, the cu chi tunnels....... an underground network of tunnels over 200km long which the vietcong used to remain unseen and to ambush the US army during the war. Not only were we able to crawl inside these tunnels (which had been widened for tourists), but we were also able to see the type of booby-traps which were used by the vietcong. Our final night before leaving for cambodia was spent down the local bowling alley with a few cocktails and ice cream sundaes... next stop phnom penh.


Additional photos below
Photos: 122, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 17; qc: 72; dbt: 0.0647s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb