Thien An Mountain and Uncle Huynh Thuc Khang Tomb


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » South Central Coast » Quang Ngai
February 11th 2015
Published: February 14th 2015
Edit Blog Post

In the Son Tinh District Thien An Mountain (106m high) and the tomb of Uncle Huynh Thuc Khang is found on the left bank of Tra Khuc River. The famous Thien An Pagoda, built in 1695, stands in the Northeast. There is the legendary Great Bell, cast in 1845, which resounds with a reportedly light clear sound. It is said that thieves once removed the bell but many years later it was retrieved and reset. In the garden of the pagoda there is a Buddhist well, which also is legendary. The story I was told by the Monk who spoke with us was that a follower of Buddha came to this mountain a long time ago and settled, living as a recluse for 10 years. Later a group of followers came and because attracted to his teachings but there not enough water to sustain them. There was a spring and so they decided to dig deep into the earth to find the source of the spring and water to drink. They dug and dug but deep in the earth they hit a huge stone that blocked them from digging further. The monk sat and meditated without food or water for days and days. Finally after a long while of meditation he stirred and said that they should dig about 10-15 meters northeast. They began to dig and discovered a water source that is to this day viable. The water is said to bring miracles and blessings to those who drink from it. We drank water from the well and solemnly made our wishes. On the Southwest corner of Thien An pagoda, Huynh Thuc Khang temple was built in honor of the famous strong-willed patriotic scholar of the country and a citizen who assumed many responsibilities in the government. His last wish was to be buried on An mountain and the city of Quang Ngai honored that wish. Ms. Lan and I walked the grounds, quiet and calm. Various Buddhas populate the temple grounds and garden of flowers and vegetables offer a haven for contemplation, meditation, reflection and introspection. The tomb to rises abruptly but majestically out of the courtyard, impressive in its boldness, with the fierceness of the tiger and the strength and majesty of the dragon. I feel at home here on the mountain surrounded by Buddha, the tomb and la source that issues from the depths of the earth's core. The tomb to Huynh Thuc Khang lies on a pathway to the southwest of the pagoda grounds. The dirt and gravel path runs into a forested area and leads to the rather modest tomb surrounded by trees. Ms. Lan's friend had planted a tree in honor of the general! An elderly gentleman who had volunteered gave us some incense to burn as an offering in honor of this brave man.


Additional photos below
Photos: 40, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0692s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb