Day 7 Hoi An


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » South Central Coast » Quảng Nam » Hoi An
July 25th 2015
Published: July 26th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Day 7 - The alarm didn't go off! Quick change and out. Swift walk for the 8am bus. No time for breakfast. Bus arrived at 9.15am so had usual omelette and bread roll breakfast at the cafe next door whilst waiting. The bus is the sleeper, air conditioned and comfy. Great way to travel. Our 3 bus journeys (including 2 night buses) cost us just £35. It's warm but not sunny. Looking forward to another adventurous day.

We had the obligatory stop for the driver. Beautiful restaurant with thatched roof, carp and birds. Just enough time for a green tea and then off. The bus stop seemed remote when we arrived. It was a 20 mins walk with back packs so we decided not to. 2 taxi scooters offered to take us for 30,000 Dong (80p) so we did! The hotel is good and we got a warm welcome again. It has a pool too! We have also have a bath, so we did our washing.

Time to explore. We went into the old town. The receptionist explain if we bought a tourist book of entry tickets we could see 5 of the world cultural heritage sites in Hoi An. The first stop was the Japanese covered bridge, also known as Can Chua Pagoda. The bridge dates back to the 18th century and is a beautiful historical piece of Japanese architecture.

We stopped for a small lunch which was a rice and vegetable snack with an iced Vietnamese coffee with milk. Then into the Ancient Town was the Quang Trieu (Cantonese) Assembly Hall, one of the most famous historical buildings in Hoi An. It was built in 1885 by the Chinese and was a place for Chinese fishermen and traders to rest and exchange goods. The building was actually made in China in separate parts and then reassembled in Hoi An.

We visited the house of Phung Hung which was built in 1870. It is a two storied house which shows a mix of both Japanese, and Chinese elements of architecture.

Last historical visit of the day was to Duc An's house. We actually met Mr Tram who is a direct descendant of the original owner! His family have lived there for over 400 years! It was just such a beautiful building, all original, and so well cared for.

The places of interest were amongst all the shops so we shopped intermittently too.Hoi An is known for their tailoring. You can ask for anything and they'll make it for you in an hour. Lesley has found her niche. She is great at haggling. You should aim for less that half they quote. I bought a dress( there's a surprise) It was ready made. Lesley wanted shoes she haggled them down and they are making them especially for her! She has small wide hobbit like feet! None of the ready made shoes fit. The guy drew around her feet and measured them and she chose leather flip flops and leather pixie boots. She was so excited. She won't mind me saying about her feet .... Because it's true! Ha. We took a photo of the shop so we could find it again tomorrow on Google maps when we go and collect them.

We continued to shop and suddenly I heard Lesley and a commotion. Beth her daughter had face timed her showing Lesley her first beautiful granddaughter Thea being fed. It was almost too much for Lesley and she cried with joy and 2 ladies passing stopped to look too and were almost in tears and congratulated Lesley. She became a grandma 2 days before we set off so had only seen her once. She was so excited to buy Thea her first pair of baby travelling trousers too!

After a break for green tea we walked along the riverside where people were just starting to cook street food. It always looks very appetising and fresh. As we walked up through the town there was lots of lovely eating places but we decided to walk nearer to the hotel. We stopped again and had a refreshing herbal drink and sat with the locals to drink it. Lesley was just about to try out her Vietnamese for " this is a lovely drink" but they all walked off! May be tomorrow.

We managed to navigate back to near the hotel with the help of Google maps. We've bought Vietnam SIM cards and data for less that £5 which is making life easier. Evening meal was at a local food place. We stayed away from the meat and ordered a traditional Vietnamese shrimp dish and spring rolls. Best meal we've had for under £10 for two. We decided we shouldn't have too far to walk now to the hotel then looked across the road and there it was! Back at the hotel young people were sat around the pool singing and playing guitar. For all of 10 seconds we considered joining them but in true granny style we decided a shower and pj's on was more favourable!


Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



27th July 2015

Hi
Sounds like you have had a great few days and the pics are great. I'm fine and looking forward to finishing on Friday Hugz
27th July 2015

Hi
Hi David great to hear from you. Having a beach and bicycle say today. I hope you have a lovely break too xx
27th July 2015

Hi
Sounds like you have had a great few days and the pics are great. I'm fine and looking forward to finishing on Friday Hugz

Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0234s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb