Which way to Hoi An?


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » South Central Coast » Quảng Nam » Hoi An
July 8th 2015
Published: July 9th 2015
Edit Blog Post

The sleeper bus had one and only one drop off point in Hoi An, and it wasn't really "in" Hoi An. It was way out of town with only two transport options. Option 1 was to jump on the back of a scooter, option 2 was to walk. Option 2 was the only option for us. We were so far out of town even the map in the Lonely Planet didn't show where we were.

We asked a security guard on the street which way to town (with out pointing in any direction, a lesson we learned in India, where locals were so keen to help they'd agree with you rather than correct you) in the slowest way possible. He gave us the right direction. Phew.

We attempted hailing a few taxis but they were all full. By now it was starting to get late and bags were getting heavy. We hailed two taxis who first couldn't work out where we wanted to go and second claimed it was too close to bother driving us. After a cool drink and a regroup (plus some free wifi) we were back on track.

We are staying in a lovely little place called flower garden home stay. It's sort of like a tiny hotel, with the family living downstairs. Agus is super excited that they have a four year old boy he can play with and is constantly asking when he can go play with his friend.

Hoi An is a beautiful place, we are a short walk from the old town and central market. The town is mostly powdery yellow ornate buildings (filled with tailor shops and restaurants) a unesco world heritage site, geez they've been busy here in Vietnam.

Deservedly so, the old town is really charming, with minimal traffic (no cars allowed) and overhanging leafy spaces, temples and gardens. Lots of old dark timber contrasting the soft coloured walls and bright wares, the atmosphere is lovely. We will explore some more today.

We spent the most part of yesterday walking the streets of the old town and produce market. The lady from the hotel wrote down some really good food tips on a map. She said "Hoi An believes they do Vietnamese food the best". It's true so far, they put the extra effort and love in making and presenting their food. Even the street food vendors have long lines with a mix of locals and foreigners. Everything we've eaten has been so good.

We found a bar to watch the State of Origin. It's was amazing how many Australians there were in the one pub. We lost, but the kids won! We think NSW were following Kyrgios lead and tanking.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0411s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb