Classical Music Concert in Aid of Educational Scholarship Students - Melbourne


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » South Central Coast » Quảng Nam » Hoi An
October 25th 2010
Published: October 25th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We would love to invite you to a classical music concert organised to raise funds for the Lifestart Foundation educational scholarship program. Lifestart Foundation believes that every child should have the opportunity to complete their education and has been helping students in Hoi An and the surrounding area for over ten years. We provide educational scholarships to children who may not have otherwise been able to continue their education because of financial difficulties. For more information on our educational scholarship program please see our website.

The fundraising event is taking place on Sunday, 31st of October from 12:15 to 13:15 at St Michael’s Church, 120 Collins Street, Melbourne. Australia

Tickets are $15 (or $10 for concessions) at the door. If you would like any further information please call 9654 5120 or email us through lifestartfoundation@mail.com.

Three very tallented musicians, David Pereira and Bonnie Smart on cello and Amir Farid on piano, will perform the following pieces:

*Concerto for Two Cellos in G minor, RV531 - Antonio Vivaldi
*Chanson de Matin - Edward Elgar
*Sonata for Cello & Piano No. 2 in D major, Op. 58 - Adagio - Felix Mendelssohn
*Cello Sonata, Op. 5 No. 3 in C major - Andante - Allegro - Francesco Geminiani
*Suite No. 3 in C major, BWV 1009 - Prelude, Sarabande, Bourrée I & II and Gigue - Johann Sebastian Bach
*Adagio in B minor, K. 540 - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
*Mon coeur s’ouvre à ta voix (from Samson and Delilah) - Camille Saint-Saëns
*Adagio and Allegro, Op. 70 - Robert Schumann


AMIR FARID



Amir has performed concerti with the Sydney Symphony, Melbourne Symphony, Melbourne Chamber Orchestra, Orchestra Victoria, Melbourne Youth and ANAM Orchestras, including Rachmaninoff’s 2nd Piano Concerto at the Sidney Myer Music Bowl with the Melbourne Symphony, in front of a capacity 13,000 strong crowd. Collaborations with conductors include Graham Abbott, Peter Bandy, Oleg Caetani, Brett Dean, and Benjamin Northey.

Amir’s competition successes include the prestigious Australian National Piano Award (2006), the Hephzibah Menuhin Competition (2005), and the 3MBS Performer of the Year award. In 2008 he was one of two musicians selected to represent Australia in the European Broadcasting Union’s New Talent Competition. As a chamber musician, Amir is pianist of the acclaimed Benaud Trio, winning the Piano Trio prize at the 2005 Australian Chamber Music Competition. As an accompanist, he was winner of the prize for best pianist at the 2006 Mietta Song Recital award, and the 2007 Geoffrey Parsons Award.

BONNIE SMART



Bonnie was a scholarship holder in the Australian National Academy of Music’s inaugural Advanced Performance Program, during which time she began lessons with David Pereira. As a recipient of a scholarship from the Foundation for Young Australians and an Ian Potter Cultural Trust Grant, Bonnie has attended the International Holland Music Sessions. She has also been awarded the A.E. Floyd Memorial Scholarship at the University of Melbourne, where she completed a Master of Music in Performance under the guidance of Nelson Cooke.

Bonnie is Director of Studies in Music at Trinity College. She has tutored at The University of Melbourne in subjects concerning Australian music history, and in nineteenth- and twentieth-century Western music. She is currently a PhD candidate at the University of Melbourne. Bonnie gave her first paper at an international conference in July 2009 at the Seventh Conference on Nineteenth-Century Music in Britain, travelling as a recipient of a Melbourne Abroad Travelling Scholarship from the University of Melbourne.

DAVID PEREIRA



During the last thirty years David has established himself as an outstandingly versatile cellist with appointments to top professional positions. He was for eleven years cellist of the Australia Ensemble (resident at the UNSW), for seven years Principal Cellist of the Australian Chamber Orchestra and for three years Principal Cello with the Sydney Symphony Orchestra.

As concerto soloist, David has appeared with the major orchestras in Australia and New Zealand in concertos including those by Dvorak, Elgar, Schumann, Saint-Saëns, Beethoven (Triple), Brahms (Double), JC Bach, CPE Bach, Bruch (Kol Nidrei), as well as concertos written for him by Australians Richard Mills, Barry Conyngham, David Lumsdaine, Larry Sitsky and Bruce Cale. David has published three books on cello playing and pedagogy and a volume of original cello studies. The latest (2008) is The Larrikin Cellist - 68 ideas on freedom and control for the extraordinary cello student.


Advertisement



4th November 2010

Good concert
Excellent concert! I totally enjoyed it....

Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.037s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb