Happiness is Hoi An (and a really great feed)


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » South Central Coast » Quảng Nam » Hoi An
April 3rd 2006
Published: April 6th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Leaving Nha Trang at some ridiculous time of the morning (Ok it was scheduled to leave early but didn't) we spent over 12 hours stuck on a bus with a driver with smelly feet to reach Hoi An. Actually, it wasn't that bad and the countryside made it all worthwhile.

Arriving in Hoi An it seemed like every foreign tourist had converged on the City with most hostels and guesthouses full or charging inane prices. After an hour or two wandering round (lucky we had all the beautiful lanterns to light our way) we did manage to find a place and come morning were moved to an even nicer room with a great view over the rooftops.

The best of Hoi An was just wandering round the Old Town, checking out the temples, assembly halls, and old houses that have been preserved. The architecture is just stunning, a mix of ancient chinese and french colonial set along a bustling little river and surrounded by rice paddies.

We also ate well in Hoi An trying all the local specialities like White Roses (shrimp dumplings shaped like roses), Fried wontons (they are more mexican in appearance) and Cao Lau (a traditional soup that Corb was a big fan of). We also ate our fair share of other food as there was a great café near our hostel and a mean bahn mi (baguette) man on the corner. I managed to gorge myself on banana and choc milk shakes which were the perfect accompaniment to any breakfast 😊

While in Hoi An we also took a trip out to the Cham Ruins at My Son, which was the intellectual and cultural centre of the Cham people. Set amongst lush jungle it was quite pretty though a damned hot day so it was very exhausting. Luckily we had a nice boat trip planned for the afternoon, so relaxed on the river with a nice Spanish couple, some pineapple and fresh watermelon.

A truly charming little town, we both really loved Hoi An. I found it a little difficult though as I wanted to buy all the colourful lanterns that hang in the shop fronts and send them home. Maybe one day we'll be able to return and I'll be able to get some to decorate the garden with.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0298s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb