Hoi An......My Son, My Suits and My old friends


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » South Central Coast » Quảng Nam » Hoi An
December 6th 2009
Published: February 4th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Hey Guys,

Well after we arrived in Hoi An we're ready to Shop!! This place came highly recommended by Diane and other travellers as the place to have clothes tailored for cheap. After cruising around we soon found out why everything is so cheap since every store in town is a tailor shop all fighting for your buisness. We opted to check out every single shop in town prior to commiting to anything, which in hind sight was probably a waste of time and we should have just gone into the first shop and dropped a bundle to have everything we've ever wanted tailored made and been done with it! Oh well where's the fun in that!

The city of Hoi An is mostly scattered around the Thu Bon river and yes it's another UNESCO World Heritage site for us, hahahaha I think we only have 2 left to go. The architecture here is very beautiful in the old quarters as the buildings are all from the French colonial period and have been well preserved.

After a day of window shopping we decided to head out to My Son which are a group of Hindu Temples built between the 4th and 14th century and another Unesco site 😊 (1 left). Unfortunately the US bombed the shit out the place during the war so it's one of those "use your imagination" type ruins. The ones that are in tact are nice and Tyne was especially fond of one carving (see pic).

Afterwards we took a boat ride down the river back to Hoi An for some tailor fit shopping!!! One of us didn't buy too much but Tyne definitely loaded up 😊 Look for some new dresses and stylin coats once we're back. That evening we ran into Jon and Lucy, who avid blog readers might remember from such memorable adventures as Mekong Slow Boat, Bowling in Laos and Vang Vieng. Well we enjoyed some drinks at a nice restaurant along the river prior to heading out the "Why Not?" bar for some drinks and pool. We had a blast and topped off the evening by getting a scooter ride home from a deaf/mute scooter taxi driver which was hilarious as I was takin pics the whole way. Luckily I was giving him hand signals for directions cause I didn't know he was a deaf/mute until I was talking to him while I paid him and he handed me his card explaining the situation. It's all part of the adventure! Well after shipping home a big box of tailored clothes which is set to arrive sometime in April 2010 we packed up and headed off to do some nice relaxin on the beach in Nha Trang, it's been too long between beach sessions!

Until the next one......

Cheers,

Matt & Tyne


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 56; dbt: 0.063s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb