Monday 22nd June Hoi An


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » South Central Coast » Quảng Nam » Hoi An
June 22nd 2009
Published: July 12th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Monday 22nd June Hoi An
Today was a much healthier experience altogether. It didn’t seem as hot either. We headed down into the old town at about 12 and wandered around. It seemed very quiet, not many locals around the streets at all, but everything was open so it made it all very pleasant. Had a lovely omelet for breakfast/lunch and went to look around the shops. For the first time in ages we felt like buying stuff. We reckoned we would try and send some stuff home soon and since we bought very little so far it was time to start picking up some tack and bits and pieces. Our first purchase was 2 Vietnamese conical hats which are amazing. Cost us about 1.10 Euro and they were worth it for one photo of the two of us alone. Got a few tacky figurines and pictures, nothing too huge or expensive but it was nice to pick up a few things. We went to a few more of the places on the tourist ticket that we had bought which gets you access to some of the merchant houses, museums and temples. The house we went into was fantastic, it has been in the same family for 6 generations and is still in its original state form the 18 century. Beautiful wood pillars and ceilings and boards with Chinese poems written in bird formations in mother of pearl.

It was then time to go and pick up Mary’s new dress, we had to wait around for a while for it to get delivered from the sweatshop or somewhere but when it came it fitted fine and seemed of good enough quality so she was happy enough. They can be hit and miss really and unless you pay the big money you are usually unsure of how it’s going to turn out. They will normally alter it again so you really got to make sure you are not rushing off for a bus immediately after picking it up. I think we were lucky enough though and headed back to the room after a nice day around Hoi an which is a town that has really grown on me.

We once again met up with John and Claire for dinner, becoming best buddies we are, and we decided to try a little Vietnamese place down some lane for dinner. It was delicious and so cheap. We had some of the local dishes I tried by the river but these were much much better and then off to that bar again which I still don’t know the name of for a drink before heading home to pack bags for another 8am bus on to Hue.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.13s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0634s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb